Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Would You Drink Wastewater? What if It Was Beer?  (Read 1365 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Would You Drink Wastewater? What if It Was Beer?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2023, 04:05:29 pm »
Sounds great. I ferment my own urine and dry hop it. Delish
« Last Edit: July 22, 2023, 06:14:53 pm by Iliff Ave »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2023, 07:38:38 pm »
If we’re getting technical, all water has been wastewater. For those of us that get their water supply from a river or lake, the separation from wastewater is even less. Everything is dependent upon water treatment to make it potable. You are correct that the seeming connection between the wastewater plant output and water treatment plant input is off putting, but everything in water is relative.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2023, 06:04:57 am »
If we’re getting technical, all water has been wastewater. For those of us that get their water supply from a river or lake, the separation from wastewater is even less. Everything is dependent upon water treatment to make it potable. You are correct that the seeming connection between the wastewater plant output and water treatment plant input is off putting, but everything in water is relative.

I personally witnessed the director of the waste water treatment plant for our city drink an 8oz glass of treated effluent whilst claiming it was perfectly safe to do so, which by federal and state  EPA standards, it is. I don't think anyone could pick out a beer made with treated wastewater in a side by side taste test.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2023, 06:40:00 am »
Being on a water well and septic system I am highly aware of this, as rhe distance from my well to my septic is only about 150’ at the surface.  My well draws from 250’ below the surface.  The strata below ground present an effective water filter, but add hardness, which I soften and apply RO membrane to get to brewing water with TDS measurement of around 10-15
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2023, 07:10:03 pm »
"The predominant method of wastewater disposal in large cities and towns is discharge into a body of surface water. Suburban and rural areas rely more on subsurface disposal." (https://www.britannica.com/technology/wastewater-treatment/)

Treated wastewater goes right back into the environment anyway. So circulating it back into the white water supply might be more efficient, saving energy on pumping, etc. Just better have a robust testing & QA program.
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society and the League of Drews.

huckdavidson

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2023, 07:28:54 pm »

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2023, 01:26:59 pm »
Just because wastewater is treated and is safe to drink doesn't necessarily mean it will taste great, let alone be used to brew beer. Maybe if it is passed through a RO unit, but treated implies that chemicals are added to it to disinfect it.

Offline brewthru

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2023, 03:27:23 pm »
My daughter has a biology degree. She informed me we are ALL drinking waste water as there is no NEW water. It is just recycled. Interesting...

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2023, 03:51:36 pm »
Just because wastewater is treated and is safe to drink doesn't necessarily mean it will taste great, let alone be used to brew beer. Maybe if it is passed through a RO unit, but treated implies that chemicals are added to it to disinfect it.
Watch the NOVA video referenced above. It is only a few minutes long. It shows the steps used at one wastewater treatment plant. After settling and aeration to allow bacteria to consume what they can, the water is sent through RO filters. There was no mention of chemicals being added. The term "treated" is a generic term to indicate that something has been done to the water to make it better.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2023, 04:12:08 pm »
My daughter has a biology degree. She informed me we are ALL drinking waste water as there is no NEW water. It is just recycled. Interesting...

And not surprising
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2023, 04:35:32 pm »
We are brewing with Dinosaur pee!
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2023, 05:44:11 pm »
We are brewing with Dinosaur pee!
I've heard reference to dinosaur pee/ we are drinking the same water as dinosaurs / etc.  These statements do not take into account hydrolysis ("splitting of water") that happens during photosynthesis in plants (and likely other places I can't remember).  Water molecules are split by plants to make carbohydrates, and then created during respiration- hydrogen and oxygen are being recombined all the time.  In fact, plants are a great way to clean-up effluent.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2023, 07:37:18 pm »
Here you go bozos. My research/work at the Colorado school of mines is in the realm

https://youtu.be/hGxw4zvzFsY
« Last Edit: July 27, 2023, 08:06:00 pm by Iliff Ave »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2023, 07:47:39 pm »
Water goes through perpetual and continuous filtration methods. As it changes from a solid, a gas and a liquid it is being filtered continuously through different media, those being transpiration, evaporation and liquid flow through geological formations among others.