Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Thin vs Thick mash?  (Read 1840 times)

Offline brewthru

• Brewer
Thin vs Thick mash?
« on: July 27, 2023, 03:11:58 pm »
I normally just follow the recipe recommendations on the qts/lbs ratio.

However, I'd like to understand/know the how/why.

Mash thickness. Thin vs thick. Why? What does thin achieve? What does thick achieve? How to calculate based on thin or thick and the pounds of grains?

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Thin vs Thick mash?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2023, 03:21:18 pm »
There is quite a lot to this, depending in part on your process (such as recirculated mash, batch sparge, fly sparge) and grist load/composition.

A quick overview:

https://www.brewersfriend.com/2009/03/22/mashing-thick-or-thin/

Cheers.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline brewthru

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2023, 03:24:16 pm »
I have an eHERMS.

Thanks for the link. I will check it out.

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2023, 07:54:18 am »
I used to use 1.3 qt/lb most of the time, but went with 1 qt/lb when I made my ESB because which was recommended in Ray Daniel's book when I started brewing the style.  The ESB mash was really thick and my efficiency was OK but not really what I expected.  I changed all of my recipes to at least 1.5 qts/lb and found that worked better for my RIMS system. YMMV.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline BrewBama

Thin vs Thick mash?
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2023, 08:18:01 am »
Today I used 3.877 qt/lb. I do full volume no-sparge mash, recirculate the entire mash, using a HERMS.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2023, 08:19:57 am by BrewBama »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2023, 08:51:54 am »
In terms of beer quality,  thick vs thin doesn't really matter. Use whatever works for you.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2023, 09:40:24 am »
I have found thinner mashes will give me a few extra clicks in efficiency.  But since I full-volume, no-sparge BIAB, mash thickness is out of my hands.  Grain absorption and boil length essentially set my strike volume and water:grist ratio for me.

Now on some smaller beers, I'll shoot past my recipe's pre-boil gravity estimate and just reduce the length of my boil to compensate and hit target OG.

Offline brewthru

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2023, 06:14:56 am »
"In terms of beer quality,  thick vs thin doesn't really matter. Use whatever works for you."

Yes, I understand doing what works best for me. However, I want to understand how/why of thin vs thick as I've not found, until I read thru the link a a prior post, an explanation.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2023, 10:51:45 am »
I have found thinner mashes will give me a few extra clicks in efficiency.  But since I full-volume, no-sparge BIAB, mash thickness is out of my hands.  Grain absorption and boil length essentially set my strike volume and water:grist ratio for me.

Now on some smaller beers, I'll shoot past my recipe's pre-boil gravity estimate and just reduce the length of my boil to compensate and hit target OG.

same, thinner gives better efficiency pretty reliably for me

unrelated sort of but it has been forever since i checked the gravity of the pre-boil wort.. it always feels like an additional hassle, especially just cooling down that small volume of wort to a temp you can check with a hydrometre... right?? any thoughts or methods?

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2023, 10:59:34 am »
Post mash, I stick about 8oz of wort in the freezer and 25 minutes later I’m usually close enough temp wise to get a reliable hydrometer reading just before the boil. I’ll make adjustments then if necessary.  Personally, I find taking a post boil gravity reading (OG) LESS important than a pre-boil.  If I’m off post boil, not much I can do about it then.

And no, I don’t have a refractometer, nor do I have plans to buy one.   :)

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2023, 11:13:09 am »

same, thinner gives better efficiency pretty reliably for me

unrelated sort of but it has been forever since i checked the gravity of the pre-boil wort.. it always feels like an additional hassle, especially just cooling down that small volume of wort to a temp you can check with a hydrometre... right?? any thoughts or methods?

I use a digital refractometer. No cooling needed. Before that, I would put a small sample in a metal cocktail shaker and swirl it in a bowl of ice water. Less than 60 seconds to cool to reading temp.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2023, 11:14:46 am by denny »

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline brewthru

• Brewer
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2023, 01:37:33 pm »
Denny "In terms of beer quality,  thick vs thin doesn't really matter. Use whatever works for you."

Why then do we even have a mash ratio? Why don't we simply use an average or "rule of thumb" to simplify things?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2023, 01:54:26 pm »
Denny "In terms of beer quality,  thick vs thin doesn't really matter. Use whatever works for you."

Why then do we even have a mash ratio? Why don't we simply use an average or "rule of thumb" to simplify things?

Because it varies depending on your equipment and goals. What kind of system do you use?  Do you want to do batch, fly, or no sparge brewing? Just a few considerations.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2023, 08:48:02 am »

My guess is that it's a holdover from the early days of homebrewing when everything was based on how commercial breweries do it. I'm sure mash thickness comes into play with things like lautering at the commercial scale. With things like batch sparge, BIAB and all-in-ones at the homebrew scale it's not really a concern.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2023, 11:27:43 am »
I suspect that it also impacts infusions to step mash a batch and allows for calculations of the step additions.  There is an article by Ashton Lewis in the current BYO magazine that discusses mash thickness as a ratio and how to utilize it in the context of various mash regimens.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"