Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Northern Brewer & Midwest Supplies Closing Retail Stores  (Read 1840 times)

Offline haasfilm

• 1st Kit
Re: Northern Brewer & Midwest Supplies Closing Retail Stores
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2023, 05:52:44 am »
I live a couple of miles from the Saint Paul store. This is a HUGE bummer for me. I can't believe they are closing the flagship store. I remember that store being around when I was in college in the 90's, when I briefly brewed extract kits. Coming back to the hobby about 18 years ago NB was my LHBS. It seems the hobby peaked 5-10 years ago. Hard to believe it's changed THIS much, but time marches on I guess. I had a friend who worked at the Minneapolis NB store during the hay-day of home brewing. Sounds like that was a vibrant store with it's own culture and vibe. When they closed that store I didn't take it as a sign of things to come. I assumed that maybe it was too close to Midwest, and was redundant? Anyway I guess I never saw them shuddering the little Grand Ave. store. I stopped in yesterday and it was sad. The whole store is very picked over. It is what it is, but kind of sad to the see this shop go out like this. I can think of so many great staffers over the years, and stopping in to get tips and advice. I was saying to my wife that this ALMOST makes me want to quit the hobby. Not likely, as I have an electric brew room in my basement. It will be a big change, not being able to just stop by and mill my own grist from the grain room, or make a quick run for yeast, cleaning supplies, etc. I should start a new thread asking for advice on shifting to a "no LHBS" survival scheme. Anyway I'm lifting a glass to the St. Paul NB. Godspeed.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2023, 05:54:56 am by haasfilm »
BJCP National Judge

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2023, 09:53:26 am »
At least you can still order online from the same entity (owner, I guess)...I try to keep my LHBS alive by visiting regularly and placing orders through it for bulk items (sacks of grain and pounds of hops) and last minute pick up items.  If it goes out of business, I would likely have over an hour drive to the nearest alternative, so I would be going with more online supplies in that event.  In order to make the shipping tolerable, you should combine orders to qualify for free shipping where possible, whether that would be on a stock up basis by you or doing orders for group buys.

Best of luck as the new world transition for our hobby takes shape.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Skeeter686

• Cellarman
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2023, 03:34:31 pm »
I try to keep my LHBS alive by visiting regularly and placing orders through it for bulk items (sacks of grain and pounds of hops) and last minute pick up items.

Same here. 

There have been too many occasions when me or the assistant brewer (wife) had to run out and pick something up at the last moment because the head brewer (me) had his head up his arse and needed some critical ingredient on brew day.  I really like knowing there's a local option.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2023, 04:19:10 pm »
I try to keep my LHBS alive by visiting regularly and placing orders through it for bulk items (sacks of grain and pounds of hops) and last minute pick up items.

Same here. 

There have been too many occasions when me or the assistant brewer (wife) had to run out and pick something up at the last moment because the head brewer (me) had his head up his arse and needed some critical ingredient on brew day.  I really like knowing there's a local option.

I've made some very interesting ingredient swaps since my LHBS closed.  I've become very anal when it comes to checking lists, double checking lists, and then checking again.  I still miss things which means I order enough of missed item to stock a good LHBS. :( 

I drive 2+ hours, minimum, in any direction for bulk supplies. I feel your pain and wish that the brews be always in your favor.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline waltsmalt

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2023, 05:54:42 am »
What online retailers have people had the best luck when it comes to liquid yeast?  I plan to move more towards dry yeast when possible, but certain styles are going to require a liquid strain.  Looking at the LHBS still remaining in MN, most don’t carry the wide selection that MW and NB did.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Northern Brewer & Midwest Supplies Closing Retail Stores
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2023, 07:24:32 am »
I only buy liquid yeast online in the Winter. Summers are just too hot to get reliable delivery here.

Having said that, I usually use Great Fermentation or MoreBeer.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2023, 11:27:10 am by BrewBama »

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2023, 10:35:47 am »
If it hasn't been mentioned yet, Label Peelers and Ritebrew are great online options.  Yes, prices have gone up for supplies and also shipping but it's still pretty good.  I once got a 50-lb bag of Briess Pilsner malt for $29 and no, it wasn't 20 years ago.  Maybe 4-5 years ago. 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline waltsmalt

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2023, 10:27:03 pm »
So I’m about ready to start ramping up my fall brewing schedule and I’m wondering if anyone in MN can tell me the best way to secure sacks of base malt (2-Row, Pilsner, etc) as it just doesn’t make sense to have a sack of grain shipped when we have Rahr right in our backyard. 

Now that my two sons have gone off to college it’s probably time to join a homebrew club to see if any of the clubs have figured out a solution to losing our key LHBS.

Offline House Of Ales

• Cellarman
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2023, 07:14:58 pm »
I don’t have a LHBS anywhere near me so it’s totally online. I was using NB but recently switched to Ritebrew. Definitely saves me some cash.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2023, 07:57:19 am »
I don’t have a LHBS anywhere near me so it’s totally online. I was using NB but recently switched to Ritebrew. Definitely saves me some cash.
Ritebrew has a good (not great) selection, but their prices usually beat most of the online shops. I try to give them my business when I'm not looking for something they don't carry.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer