Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Anvil Foundry 220V Boil Off at different Power Settings for 5 gallon brews  (Read 522 times)

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
Anvil Foundry boil off is 1 gallon/hour with the 220 volt system. Can you just do the math like for 80% = 0.8 gallons boil off? Or should I do a boil off and measure the water volume?

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
Anvil Foundry boil off is 1 gallon/hour with the 220 volt system. Can you just do the math like for 80% = 0.8 gallons boil off? Or should I do a boil off and measure the water volume?
Measure it unless you don't care very much about accuracy. I don't know how the Foundry controls its power, but there are many opportunities for nonlinearities to creep in with any system.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
Thanks! That's what I was thinking.

Offline rburrelli

• Assistant Brewer
I really don’t understand what your question is.  What are you trying to accomplish?
11:11 Brewing
“Brewing with Attention and Intention.”

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
I use full power or 75% power for my Anvil Foundry and I have found it to be fairly linear - I would guess that the 1 gallon boil off rate at 100% is a bit of an estimate by the mfg., anyway, as there are other variables involved.  Also, I have gone to a 90 minute mash and 30 minute boil at a medium simmer, so  it is roughly half of the full boil off of a one hour boil.  I use 3.5 gallons of strike water and 3.5 gallons of batch sparge water (in BIAB application - letting the bag drip through a collander into a separate bucket to collect and add to the boil) and generally collect a bit over 6 gallons of wort for a 9 lb. grist.  Just one data point...but there you go.

Cheers.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
I really don’t understand what your question is.  What are you trying to accomplish?
I usually brew 5.5 gallon of beer with the Anvil Foundry and the boil of rate for me is 1gal per hour with 13.8% boil off. I want to brew smaller batches like 3.5 gallons. For a 3.5 gallon batch the boil off rate is over 20% and it's my understanding that this can affect beer quality. I think it's better if the boil rate is around 10%?

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
I use full power or 75% power for my Anvil Foundry and I have found it to be fairly linear - I would guess that the 1 gallon boil off rate at 100% is a bit of an estimate by the mfg., anyway, as there are other variables involved.  Also, I have gone to a 90 minute mash and 30 minute boil at a medium simmer, so  it is roughly half of the full boil off of a one hour boil.  I use 3.5 gallons of strike water and 3.5 gallons of batch sparge water (in BIAB application - letting the bag drip through a collander into a separate bucket to collect and add to the boil) and generally collect a bit over 6 gallons of wort for a 9 lb. grist.  Just one data point...but there you go.

Cheers.

Thanks and I was planning on trying 75-80% power for my next brew day and didn't want to do a boil off test.