Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: legality of serving beer at a charity event in a brewery  (Read 383 times)

Offline tferguson

• 1st Kit
legality of serving beer at a charity event in a brewery
« on: August 22, 2023, 04:24:44 am »
I live in central Indiana and my homebrew club pours beer at an annual 5K for charity.   A local brewery is the start and stop site for the event.  In past years we have set up our club bar near the finish line, but off of the brewery's property.  The event occurs in March, and the weather here is quite variable that time of year.  The brewery is open to us setting up our bar inside their building, but they are not sure of the legality of this.  They would prefer we do the legwork and get back to them. 

Anyone have any experience with this.   

To be clear we would not be selling any beer, and all participants would be donating their entry fee for the race towards the charity. 

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: legality of serving beer at a charity event in a brewery
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2023, 06:19:30 am »
1). If I ran a business I would not subject it to risk and let someone else do the legwork. I’m the one that’s going to be in the hot seat if the hammer drops, I’m going to commission the legal research.

2) Call your local alcohol control authority. They’re the ones that will levy the consequences, you’re just asking for a determination beforehand.

3) I hope you find out it’s no problem and y’all have a successful event.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: legality of serving beer at a charity event in a brewery
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2023, 08:32:21 am »
1). If I ran a business I would not subject it to risk and let someone else do the legwork. I’m the one that’s going to be in the hot seat if the hammer drops, I’m going to commission the legal research.

2) Call your local alcohol control authority. They’re the ones that will levy the consequences, you’re just asking for a determination beforehand.

3) I hope you find out it’s no problem and y’all have a successful event.

This.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell