Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: how bad has the hazy/ low ibu "IPA" infection spread?  (Read 1104 times)

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: how bad has the hazy/ low ibu "IPA" infection spread?
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2023, 05:22:25 pm »
I'll drink a Sip of Sunshine or Heady Topper now again when someone offers me one but I don't buy beer unless I'm out to eat.  When I brew IPAs I target higher IBUs than what I've tasted in many draft Hazy IPAs.  I do find those that emphasize all aroma and little bitterness lacking the clean finish that I like.

Ive never had any of those original hazies and/or the super acclaimed ones, i perceive that they had a different aim than just the current chasing a trend of -more hazies, hop burn is good-. i'd try one if i could

Those of us who prefer WCIPA are in luck. The pendulum is swinging  back in that direction.

I have been brewing every other beer Lager, Ale, Lager, Ale for a couple of years. This year is has mostly been WCIPA for the ales. I don’t like to experiment much anymore. I know what styles I like and that’s what I want.

PS. I don’t hate hazies, but I think WCIPA is usually a much better beer. I also don’t want too many double IPAs. I really don’t want anything beyond 6-7% ABV.

what would "fix" IPAs for me is simply a stronger focus on malt character, mixed with yeast that backs up notes of darker fruits than peach, caramel, toast, malt and yes to be in that range of say max 6%, but completely full flavoured with a pleasant high bitterness and great hop aroma topping that off.

IPA has just turned into fizzy yellow bland water covered up with a random assortment of hops added, then the creator says "TASTE THE CITRA/MOSAIC!!!"

sorry, but it is just super disappointing for me and I wouldn't have believed myself if i had told my past self in 2013 "by 2023 craft beer is going to be 99% pale yellow beers that are very similar to each other with an emphasis on light and fruity"

There are lots of those out there. You must just not be seeing them.

lol, i live in canada. come look at the shelf of the ontario craft brews. its almost universally  bad variations on pale lager/"pilsner"/blonde ale/cream ale then a bunch of hazy/session/other IPAs and pale fruit beers. it is really unbearable here, whereas i swear 15 years ago things felt like they were on an endless upswing with low and stable prices (i price checked average prices for imported european beers of the same brand in america vs. here and they were much cheaper), there was the swill for the 90% of people and the good beer section which was large was mainly imports, particularly a lot of british bitters, porters, various ales, decent belgians for incredibly cheap, lots of the top name german breweries and ontario craft brewers were still trying to play catch up with hit or miss attempts at all different styles, but all different styles, from stouts, porters, amber ales, stronger beers, etc.

love the snarky "you must not be seeing them", but i have a unique situation up here which adds a certain emotion and freneticness to my desire to brew i dont think is present elsewhere.

and this is a relevant thing btw, homeless have switched to weed and hard drugs instead of alcohol. the government has been forcing up alcohol prices as a penalty/sin tax, so it is barely an option anymore. weed is apparently as low as $5 a gram now, literally half what it was a decade ago and its 3 to 4 times more potent. i would much rather see homeless with a bottle of cheap sherry or vodka than zombified and truly scary looking completely methed or tranq'd out. its really bad here.

ill take a pic of an average LCBO shelf next time im over there and its not busy.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2023, 08:48:30 am »
I'll drink a Sip of Sunshine or Heady Topper now again when someone offers me one but I don't buy beer unless I'm out to eat.  When I brew IPAs I target higher IBUs than what I've tasted in many draft Hazy IPAs.  I do find those that emphasize all aroma and little bitterness lacking the clean finish that I like.

Ive never had any of those original hazies and/or the super acclaimed ones, i perceive that they had a different aim than just the current chasing a trend of -more hazies, hop burn is good-. i'd try one if i could

Those of us who prefer WCIPA are in luck. The pendulum is swinging  back in that direction.

I have been brewing every other beer Lager, Ale, Lager, Ale for a couple of years. This year is has mostly been WCIPA for the ales. I don’t like to experiment much anymore. I know what styles I like and that’s what I want.

PS. I don’t hate hazies, but I think WCIPA is usually a much better beer. I also don’t want too many double IPAs. I really don’t want anything beyond 6-7% ABV.

what would "fix" IPAs for me is simply a stronger focus on malt character, mixed with yeast that backs up notes of darker fruits than peach, caramel, toast, malt and yes to be in that range of say max 6%, but completely full flavoured with a pleasant high bitterness and great hop aroma topping that off.

IPA has just turned into fizzy yellow bland water covered up with a random assortment of hops added, then the creator says "TASTE THE CITRA/MOSAIC!!!"

sorry, but it is just super disappointing for me and I wouldn't have believed myself if i had told my past self in 2013 "by 2023 craft beer is going to be 99% pale yellow beers that are very similar to each other with an emphasis on light and fruity"

There are lots of those out there. You must just not be seeing them.

lol, i live in canada. come look at the shelf of the ontario craft brews. its almost universally  bad variations on pale lager/"pilsner"/blonde ale/cream ale then a bunch of hazy/session/other IPAs and pale fruit beers. it is really unbearable here, whereas i swear 15 years ago things felt like they were on an endless upswing with low and stable prices (i price checked average prices for imported european beers of the same brand in america vs. here and they were much cheaper), there was the swill for the 90% of people and the good beer section which was large was mainly imports, particularly a lot of british bitters, porters, various ales, decent belgians for incredibly cheap, lots of the top name german breweries and ontario craft brewers were still trying to play catch up with hit or miss attempts at all different styles, but all different styles, from stouts, porters, amber ales, stronger beers, etc.

love the snarky "you must not be seeing them", but i have a unique situation up here which adds a certain emotion and freneticness to my desire to brew i dont think is present elsewhere.

and this is a relevant thing btw, homeless have switched to weed and hard drugs instead of alcohol. the government has been forcing up alcohol prices as a penalty/sin tax, so it is barely an option anymore. weed is apparently as low as $5 a gram now, literally half what it was a decade ago and its 3 to 4 times more potent. i would much rather see homeless with a bottle of cheap sherry or vodka than zombified and truly scary looking completely methed or tranq'd out. its really bad here.

ill take a pic of an average LCBO shelf next time im over there and its not busy.

Absolutely no snark intended. I'm well aware you live in Canada, and that's why I said that.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2023, 09:39:38 am »
I certainly hope so!
Dan Chisholm

Offline Big_Eight

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2023, 09:40:22 am »
I love a nice crisp WCIPA.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2023, 09:46:10 am »
For years the only IPA that I made was the Wry Smile Rye IPA.  I couldn’t improve on that and everyone loved it.  I will have to make it again soon - stick with a proven winner.  I can taste it now…damn good.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2023, 12:05:59 pm »
From what I've seen, the real haze craziness has been around for a while and appears to be fairly localized. About 6 years ago we spent several days in Squamish BC. It wasn't easy to find a decent Pale Ale or an IPA that wasn't hazy. A couple of days into our stay we discovered A Frame Brewing and that's where the remainder of our beer drinking was done. Hazy beers were so common that many bars and restaurants didn't distinguish between them and WC IPAs. After a few days we ventured up to Whistler and found the local breweries there had hazy beers, but not many. Less than an hour apart, and the difference was like night & day. I've seen the same thing since in several areas we've traveled to.

I've tried several hazy IPAs, from some great breweries, and really didn't find anything I liked about them.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV