Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: how bad has the hazy/ low ibu "IPA" infection spread?  (Read 1105 times)

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
how bad has the hazy/ low ibu "IPA" infection spread?
« on: September 01, 2023, 10:14:15 pm »
went to an IRL homebrewers meeting and all it was was mosaic, hazy, "session" and just bleh IPAs.

some good skill misplaced, some lack of skill but all terrible concepts.

the term IPA is seriously dead for me. i cant stand it anymore, let alone the store shelves

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
how bad has the hazy/ low ibu "IPA" infection spread?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2023, 06:23:03 am »
I was concerned the local brew club would also be all about IPA. However, I was pleasantly surprised to find that at most monthly meetings so far there are a wide variety of beers to sample. I don’t think I’ve seen a hazy IPA at a meeting yet. There may be an IPA or Double IPA occasionally, but it is usually far out numbered by other styles.

FTR: I like a well made Hazy IPA. Not a huge fan of ‘bitterness blasters’ though.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2023, 11:24:46 am by BrewBama »

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
Re: how bad has the hazy/ low ibu "IPA" infection spread?
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2023, 07:25:09 am »
One of my bowling buds drinks NA beer and when we order we usually ask the beertender for a "fake beer" for him.  A guy on another team who doesn't know us asked, "Fake beer?  He drinks IPA?".  :D  Laughs all around.

Seriously though .. I have said this before:  I'm unusual in the homebrewing world in that I rarely if ever make IPAs and I know for sure I have never made a hazy IPA.  I'm also not into stouts or Belgians.  The brewing world can absolutely follow the lead of whatever the coolest new style is and I find it strange because we have so many styles.  I have walked into a brewpub and been unable to find ANYTHING to order that fits my taste.  It's either 100 IBUs or it's 10%, etc.  When I walk into a place and see Helles, Vienna Lager, maybe a standard run-of-the-mill pale ale, I'm usually happy. 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2023, 08:55:56 am »
One of my bowling buds drinks NA beer and when we order we usually ask the beertender for a "fake beer" for him.  A guy on another team who doesn't know us asked, "Fake beer?  He drinks IPA?".  :D  Laughs all around.

Seriously though .. I have said this before:  I'm unusual in the homebrewing world in that I rarely if ever make IPAs and I know for sure I have never made a hazy IPA.  I'm also not into stouts or Belgians.  The brewing world can absolutely follow the lead of whatever the coolest new style is and I find it strange because we have so many styles.  I have walked into a brewpub and been unable to find ANYTHING to order that fits my taste.  It's either 100 IBUs or it's 10%, etc.  When I walk into a place and see Helles, Vienna Lager, maybe a standard run-of-the-mill pale ale, I'm usually happy.

I try to keep an IPA on tap for I have grown to like them. Nothing hazy and nowhere near 100IBU. When there are that over the top with bitterness it ruins my palate for anything else for a while.  I keep my IBU's in tandem with my OG. I too, when going to a brewery would much rather have more lager/pilsner choices!! An occasional IPA or two, sure, that's good business. High ABV? Ill ask for a splash and if its good take a 4 pack home. I mean I want to drink at least 2-3 beers (if I am driving)when I'm out and I'd much rather have that sub 5% lager

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2023, 09:51:39 am »

I try to keep an IPA on tap for I have grown to like them. Nothing hazy and nowhere near 100IBU. When there are that over the top with bitterness it ruins my palate for anything else for a while.  I keep my IBU's in tandem with my OG. I too, when going to a brewery would much rather have more lager/pilsner choices!! An occasional IPA or two, sure, that's good business. High ABV? Ill ask for a splash and if its good take a 4 pack home. I mean I want to drink at least 2-3 beers (if I am driving)when I'm out and I'd much rather have that sub 5% lager

I agree with Hopden.  I try to keep my IPA's around 50-60 IBU's and balance them with the malt bill.  Usual ABV is 6-6.5%.  I do not care for hazy IPA's.  I have to keep at least one IPA on tap since my wife and my neighbor like them (my wife would take my life if I didn't have one for her).  But I also do other styles to appease my palate (coffee porter, Saison, Stout, and a biggie Quad) .  Right now my Amarillo IPA is on tap and I have a wet hopped West Coast IPA in the fermenter since I try to make one every year for a nice change of pace.  The wet hopped one always goes over well with our neighbor and the brew clubs I belong to.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2023, 10:18:39 am »
yeah, that was a factor. the meeting was at a brewpub place, they had about 12 menu options, every single one was fully pale except one "amber ale". i just cant stand the paleness of beer, its fully gone back to fizzy yellow water, just now with hop burn

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2023, 04:17:42 pm »
Another thing to consider because we're homebrewers .. sometimes we like a certain style but we don't necessarily want 5 gallons of it around.  This is especially true for IPAs where the fresh hop character is only going to last so long.  So maybe I have an IPA when I go out just to check them out but I don't make them.  The flavored stouts, the sours and a number of other things get big and many brewpubs grab on and brew a bunch of them.  This is off-topic but I was out the other night and went to a brewpub in Chicago ..ERIS Brewery & Cider House .. and there was an Oktoberfest on tap.  I ordered it and damn if it wasn't a bad example.  Far too hoppy for an Oktoberfest and it also tasted like the brewer dumped a bunch of gypsum in there and our water already leans towards sulfate.  The rich maltiness you might expect was completely missing.  It tasted more like a pale ale than an Oktoberfest.  But I digress. 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2023, 09:58:04 pm »
I enjoy a good IPA every now and then and the Hazies have grown on me even if I find them hard to tell apart one from another.  But, I rarely make IPA’s at home…maybe once a year if that…because there are so many good ones every where I turn.  My current fav is Troegs Perpetual.  And at a tailgate today I was digging on a hazy from New Trail called Gear Head.  Pretty yum.

Maybe someday if the world turns against them and they become a bit scarce in the wild, then I’ll make IPAs more frequently at home.

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2023, 08:45:05 am »
I'll drink a Sip of Sunshine or Heady Topper now again when someone offers me one but I don't buy beer unless I'm out to eat.  When I brew IPAs I target higher IBUs than what I've tasted in many draft Hazy IPAs.  I do find those that emphasize all aroma and little bitterness lacking the clean finish that I like.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2023, 09:03:11 am »
Those of us who prefer WCIPA are in luck. The pendulum is swinging  back in that direction.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2023, 09:27:44 am »
I have been brewing every other beer Lager, Ale, Lager, Ale for a couple of years. This year is has mostly been WCIPA for the ales. I don’t like to experiment much anymore. I know what styles I like and that’s what I want.

PS. I don’t hate hazies, but I think WCIPA is usually a much better beer. I also don’t want too many double IPAs. I really don’t want anything beyond 6-7% ABV.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2023, 10:14:20 am »
I'll drink a Sip of Sunshine or Heady Topper now again when someone offers me one but I don't buy beer unless I'm out to eat.  When I brew IPAs I target higher IBUs than what I've tasted in many draft Hazy IPAs.  I do find those that emphasize all aroma and little bitterness lacking the clean finish that I like.

Ive never had any of those original hazies and/or the super acclaimed ones, i perceive that they had a different aim than just the current chasing a trend of -more hazies, hop burn is good-. i'd try one if i could

Those of us who prefer WCIPA are in luck. The pendulum is swinging  back in that direction.

I have been brewing every other beer Lager, Ale, Lager, Ale for a couple of years. This year is has mostly been WCIPA for the ales. I don’t like to experiment much anymore. I know what styles I like and that’s what I want.

PS. I don’t hate hazies, but I think WCIPA is usually a much better beer. I also don’t want too many double IPAs. I really don’t want anything beyond 6-7% ABV.

what would "fix" IPAs for me is simply a stronger focus on malt character, mixed with yeast that backs up notes of darker fruits than peach, caramel, toast, malt and yes to be in that range of say max 6%, but completely full flavoured with a pleasant high bitterness and great hop aroma topping that off.

IPA has just turned into fizzy yellow bland water covered up with a random assortment of hops added, then the creator says "TASTE THE CITRA/MOSAIC!!!"

sorry, but it is just super disappointing for me and I wouldn't have believed myself if i had told my past self in 2013 "by 2023 craft beer is going to be 99% pale yellow beers that are very similar to each other with an emphasis on light and fruity"
« Last Edit: September 03, 2023, 10:16:23 am by fredthecat »

Offline neuse

• Brewer
  • New Bern, NC
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2023, 10:56:51 am »

Ive never had any of those original hazies and/or the super acclaimed ones, i perceive that they had a different aim than just the current chasing a trend of -more hazies, hop burn is good-. i'd try one if i could

what would "fix" IPAs for me is simply a stronger focus on malt character, mixed with yeast that backs up notes of darker fruits than peach, caramel, toast, malt and yes to be in that range of say max 6%, but completely full flavoured with a pleasant high bitterness and great hop aroma topping that off.

IPA has just turned into fizzy yellow bland water covered up with a random assortment of hops added, then the creator says "TASTE THE CITRA/MOSAIC!!!"

sorry, but it is just super disappointing for me and I wouldn't have believed myself if i had told my past self in 2013 "by 2023 craft beer is going to be 99% pale yellow beers that are very similar to each other with an emphasis on light and fruity"

One of the club members brought an IPA to a homebrew club meeting. It had plenty of hop character and bitterness, but it had a great malt backbone. It's probably just what you're looking for. Unfortunately, he doesn't brew commercially.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2023, 11:04:37 am »

One of the club members brought an IPA to a homebrew club meeting. It had plenty of hop character and bitterness, but it had a great malt backbone. It's probably just what you're looking for. Unfortunately, he doesn't brew commercially.

yeah, i mean people think "IPA is not balanced, its 'bitter'!" but it actually does require balance to be a great IPA, a different kind of balance.

that reminded me, at that meeting there were 2 black IPAs.

LOOOOL, im very glad that trend died a long time ago, wowzers.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2023, 11:13:28 am »

There are lots of those out there. You must just not be seeing them.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell