Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Label Making  (Read 1482 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Label Making
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2023, 04:23:46 pm »
If you use Elmer's glue stick the labels rinse right off with no residue left behind
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2023, 09:24:43 am »
I don't bottle too much any more, but the easiest thing is just to label the caps. They get tossed after use, so no cleanup is required.

I would use these and use Word to design the label for the cap:

https://www.onlinelabels.com/products/ol1025
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2023, 09:41:28 am »
When I used to bottle a lot, I just wrote the batch number on the cap and hung a list of #'s with a description of the beers on the door of the fridge.
Friends were told to read the list and pick a beer or just Russian Roulette it and live with what they got. :)

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2023, 10:32:23 am »
I use FastLabel shrink-wrap sleeves. I print the labels on plain paper, 3 to a page.

https://www.morebeer.com/products/fastlabel-beer-label-sleeves-12-oz.html
I just ordered some of these to try them out.

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2023, 12:48:43 pm »
I use FastLabel shrink-wrap sleeves. I print the labels on plain paper, 3 to a page.

I just ordered some of these to try them out.

I label the bottles after they are washed and dried, but before they are sanitized and filled. Cold bottles sweat and make it difficult to get the sleeves on and the labels into the sleeves, so I stopped labeling after filling. I put the sleeve on, then slip the label inside it. I have a pitcher of near-boiling water nearby and dunk the bottle into the hot water for a couple of seconds. Be sure to hold the top of the sleeve against the bottle as you dip it in or it will pull down as it shrinks. It is pretty easy to use them once you get the hang of it.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2023, 02:33:11 pm »
Thx for the lessons learned. I figured on a learning curve but with your tips that curve won’t be as steep.

Cheers!

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2023, 02:36:29 pm »
I don't bottle too much any more, but the easiest thing is just to label the caps. They get tossed after use, so no cleanup is required.

love these two ideas, zero sticking to the bottle, simple.

good to note, but yeah i just write a letter on the cap. ie. "S" for stout

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2023, 07:00:47 am »

love these two ideas, zero sticking to the bottle, simple.

good to note, but yeah i just write a letter on the cap. ie. "S" for stout
I think most brewers end up at that point eventually. I got less and less into designing labels and more into designing beers. At that point the stickers went away and a grease pencil on the cap took over like you said: BW for Barleywine, P for Porter, I for IPA, etc.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2023, 08:21:51 am »
I tried using a permanent marker on the caps of a few beers I gave Tommy the other day. Huge fail. The marker got wet and turned out like crap.

So, he got three beers w/o marks and one with a kindergarten scribble looking thing.

However, I think the beers are distinguishable simply by holding it up to the light at looking thru the bottle because one beer was a Kölsch and one was a Mild.

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2023, 08:50:22 am »
When I was bottling whole batches I would only label a few bottles, but used color-coded caps to identify the rest: black for stout, green for IPA, white for steam beer, etc. I had a chart on the fridge with the key to the current color code, since my wife could never remember what the colors meant.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2023, 12:21:52 pm »
I tried using a permanent marker on the caps of a few beers I gave Tommy the other day. Huge fail. The marker got wet and turned out like crap.

So, he got three beers w/o marks and one with a kindergarten scribble looking thing.

However, I think the beers are distinguishable simply by holding it up to the light at looking thru the bottle because one beer was a Kölsch and one was a Mild.

i usually wash with water then wipe off my bottles with a kitchen towel. it adds another 20 mins to bottling day, but ensures i wont get rust/gunk from water under the cap and i always use a permanent marker on my caps, no problem unless i accidentally hit a drop of water.

When I was bottling whole batches I would only label a few bottles, but used color-coded caps to identify the rest: black for stout, green for IPA, white for steam beer, etc. I had a chart on the fridge with the key to the current color code, since my wife could never remember what the colors meant.

i was thinking of doing that, but the cap prices are very different here lol. they range from as little as $3.59/C up to $6.89/C just for different colours lol. so i just stick with red ones. black is cheap and looks good but you cant write on it, so i sometimes just use that for imp stouts or something special.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2023, 01:30:14 pm »
Though my trimming and label alignment needs improvement, the shrink wrap sleeves work slicker than snot.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2023, 02:08:31 pm »

i usually wash with water then wipe off my bottles with a kitchen towel. it adds another 20 mins to bottling day, but ensures i wont get rust/gunk from water under the cap and i always use a permanent marker on my caps, no problem unless i accidentally hit a drop of water.

i was thinking of doing that, but the cap prices are very different here lol. they range from as little as $3.59/C up to $6.89/C just for different colours lol. so i just stick with red ones. black is cheap and looks good but you cant write on it, so i sometimes just use that for imp stouts or something special.

I sometimes used a paint marker. Black cap with gold paint. :)

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2023, 02:28:01 pm »
Though my trimming and label alignment needs improvement, the shrink wrap sleeves work slicker than snot.

Cool! Here's another tip. When you want to remove the label, turn the bottle upside down and tap your finger hard on the plastic that is stretched tight across the bottom. Since the glass bottom is concave, there is a gap between glass and the plastic that is stretched tight. Poking hard there ruptures the plastic and then you can peel it all off easily.

Offline House Of Ales

• Cellarman
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2023, 05:02:32 pm »
I just write a bit on the caps.