Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Rahr pale ale malt  (Read 1260 times)

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
Rahr pale ale malt
« on: September 25, 2023, 06:01:59 pm »
Who uses Rahr pale ale malt? How does it compare to British pale ale malts?
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
Re: Rahr pale ale malt
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2023, 09:11:19 am »
depends on the malt, but it doesnt have that deep, malty and nutty character that I get from british malts like MO.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2023, 09:21:16 am »
depends on the malt, but it doesnt have that deep, malty and nutty character that I get from british malts like MO.
My local club is making a bulk grain buy and I was contemplating Rahr to save some money, but since I'm going on a British ale binge with this next batch of grain I went ahead and put in an order for a bag of Crisp maris otter.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2023, 09:23:50 am »
My local club is making a bulk grain buy and I was contemplating Rahr to save some money, but since I'm going on a British ale binge with this next batch of grain I went ahead and put in an order for a bag of Crisp maris otter.

Crisp is good, especially their No. 19 MO. I prefer Simpson, though.

ETA: I was thinking Golden Promise when I said I prefer Simpson.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2023, 08:02:56 am by denny »
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2023, 07:53:27 am »

Crisp Floor-Malted No. 19 is excellent. Lately I've been using Sugar Creek Ye Olde Pale Ale malt quite a bit, and it is delicious.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2023, 02:38:22 pm »

what do people think - does this have to do with variety (strain of barley), kilning/process or a combination?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2023, 03:49:54 pm »

what do people think - does this have to do with variety (strain of barley), kilning/process or a combination?

10% variety, 90 maltster....maybe 20/80

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2023, 06:53:04 am »

10% variety, 90 maltster....maybe 20/80
I think that sounds reasonable. I'd go even further to add that the biggest part of the maltster contribution to flavor is specifically the kilning process. I'd say that 2/3 to 3/4 of a malt's flavor comes from kilning. Everything else combined, from variety to malting, and even species (I've had malted corn that tastes like Vienna malt and wheat malt that tastes in between Pale Ale malt and Munich), is less important to flavor than kilning in any kilned malt.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Rahr pale ale malt
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2023, 08:44:10 am »
That’s an interesting observation. I say I don’t care for the taste of certain continental Pils malt. I attributed the dislike to the different variety of barley but it may well be the malting process.  I prefer Rahr and/or Great Western Pils. …but admittedly, I haven’t tried a lot of the continental Pils outside Weyermann.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2023, 09:54:30 am »
That’s an interesting observation. I say I don’t care for the taste of certain continental Pils malt. I attributed the dislike to the different variety of barley but it may well be the malting process.  I prefer Rahr and/or Great Western Pils. …but admittedly, I haven’t tried a lot of the continental Pils outside Weyermann.

I highly recommend Rahr North Star pils.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2023, 08:17:04 am »

Crisp Floor-Malted No. 19 is excellent. Lately I've been using Sugar Creek Ye Olde Pale Ale malt quite a bit, and it is delicious.
Sugar Creek is good, but not one of the options.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2023, 09:40:32 am »

I tried a sack of it and found it took a long time to clear during mash recirc, and an even longer time to clear the final beer. Also had the mild, earthy dishwater taste I detect in alot of pils maly that I dont care for.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2023, 10:23:35 am »

I tried a sack of it and found it took a long time to clear during mash recirc, and an even longer time to clear the final beer. Also had the mild, earthy dishwater taste I detect in alot of pils maly that I dont care for.

Interesting. I didn't encounter any of those. We also used it for a 30 bbl batch of IPA and it was crystal clear and delicious.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2023, 10:57:25 am »

Interesting. I didn't encounter any of those. We also used it for a 30 bbl batch of IPA and it was crystal clear and delicious.

much more likely it was operator error in my case haha. When I finish my sack of Barke maybe I'll try it again.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2023, 11:15:16 am »

much more likely it was operator error in my case haha. When I finish my sack of Barke maybe I'll try it again.

I think it's worth another shot. I've used it for pils, tripel, and IPA. Just ordered a other bag. I've got a bag of Rahr Old World pils, but haven't tried it yet.

www.dennybrew.com