Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Stinky hops?  (Read 592 times)

Offline nvshooter2276

• Assistant Brewer
Stinky hops?
« on: October 02, 2023, 05:08:46 pm »
I was told today that when I boil hops, the smell goes down the stairs and into the office directly beneath my kitchen. The door into the office has a gap under it of approximately half an inch or so. They tell me they can smell whatever it is I'm cooking, as well. They tell me the smell of boiling hops is not too pleasant. I have never considered such a thing. I don't think I've ever thought boiling hops was smelly. So, do hops have an unpleasant odor when being boiled in an open-top kettle? Can anybody offer a comparison with what they smell? I'm totally in the dark, here...

Offline beerphilmcd

• Assistant Brewer
  • Enzymatic activity excites me!
Re: Stinky hops?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2023, 05:22:46 pm »
This is not a facetious answer. Are the family members familiar with the smell of cooking cabbage, eggs, liver & onions, fish sauce, greens, pickling brine, curry, or other strong smelling foods? Do the complainants enjoy craft beer?

To be fair a fair amount of yucky compounds boil off during wort boiling.

Only help I can offer is putting a fan in the window and shutting off the kitchen if the hood isn’t doing the trick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Perhaps wisdom for me is understanding how truely small I am, and that there is no smug self centered moment of clarity when there is so much more to learn" Anthony Bourdain

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2023, 05:47:09 pm »
Far as I know, there is nothing illegal about cooking in your kitchen.  Shrug them off.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2023, 06:14:15 pm »
I enjoy the smell of brewing but I could see how some people might not enjoy those aromas.

It is possible that the aromas from brewing and cooking make their way down the stairs and under the door. It's also possible that the exhaust from your hood on the roof is too close to an air intake for their office temperature control. If there is an airflow issue internally or externally, that's not anything you can control and it's unfair to expect you not to use your kitchen.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline nvshooter2276

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2023, 07:17:45 pm »

To be fair, a fair amount of yucky compounds boil-off during wort boiling.

That has to be about what they are bravo-itching. Depending upon the weather, I can open the sliding door to my balcony and place a fan on the track to push out any odors.  Ain't too much more I can do...

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2023, 09:41:34 pm »
If they enjoy beer, offer up a few HB's as a peace offering.  I must admit I have never noticed anything that bad, but to me, I am usually enjoying a few so the smell might be going away.  LOL. 

Online Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2023, 05:17:38 am »
What smells bad is in the nose of the "be"-snifter. I would just tell them "Thanks for letting me know Karen." and keep on brewing.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2023, 10:02:04 am »
Yeah, my wife hates the smell of boiling wort (hops in particular), so this is an ongoing issue in my house. It's a real thing and there's not a lot you can do about it.

There are far stronger/worse smells you could be producing. Do what you can to mitigate the situation (within reason) and don't overtly be an asshole, but in the end they chose to lease office space under occupied housing. They should understand the repercussions of that choice.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2023, 10:29:29 am »
I agree that all you need to do is try to be a good neighbor, assuming they brought it up politely, and try to see if there is a solution that isn't a hardship on you: a fan in a window, a towel at the bottom of a door. If nothing easy works just say you tried but you need to use your kitchen.
While the smell of boiling wort is pleasant to me, it is a pretty pronounced one.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.