Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Starting fresh  (Read 345 times)

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
Starting fresh
« on: October 03, 2023, 02:58:55 pm »
So today I cleaned out our crawlspace at our home we are getting ready to sell. Back around 2008 my bottle cooler died and I slowed my homebrewing down to a crawl. That left hundreds of pounds of grain under the house, most purchased 2007 and before. I put all that under the house when I was much younger and getting it out was a bit of a pain. The unconditioned nature made certain plastics very brittle and then rodents had picked through some of the containers, but not nearly as bad as one would think. At most they got into four 4lb sacks in various locations. Some malt looked like it was brand new. My SOP was to repackage and freeze all the grain. Then I would thaw and store it. Supposedly that would kill any bugs and I must say there were no bugs in any closed grain packages. Some had obviously been wet or moisture had penetrated, that made a sticky bit of a mess.

Marris Otter looked pristine as did Dark Munich. I didn't check everything as it was all headed to the landfill. I wanted to just dump it in the low spot in the trees, but someone pointed out it would not be great for wildlife since it had not been mashed. I decided to discard it. Some which was in plastic buckets had a very strong plastic aroma. Some plastic containers had deteriorated as well.

Anyway, the plan is to start fresh since I had already lost all my hops and yeast when the DBF died. Hoping to make a couple of batches of Grisette before the end of the year or early next year. While it's more economical to purchase in bulk, I think I may just purchase for the batch unless I get a single sack of base grain. Now to dig up my recipe and start planning.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline neuse

• Brewer
  • New Bern, NC
Re: Starting fresh
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2023, 08:58:05 am »
It must be exciting to get back to brewing after the long layoff. It was for me, when I started back after 15 years off. Good luck with your brews.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2023, 02:34:40 pm »
It was all fun and games till I saw the price of malt. HA!
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2023, 04:29:14 pm »
Wait till you see shipping!