Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Austin, TX Breweries  (Read 848 times)

Offline waltsmalt

• Assistant Brewer
Austin, TX Breweries
« on: October 04, 2023, 08:05:25 pm »
My wife and I are headed to Austin, TX next week to celebrate my 50th birthday.  Any suggestions for breweries?  If you have any food suggestions, I would welcome those as well. 

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Austin, TX Breweries
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2023, 09:06:37 pm »
Take a short drive to Lockhart and eat at Black’s BBQ on the square.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2023, 08:37:20 am »
A niece lives in Austin, and other relatives live in TX, so here are my recommendations.

For Lagers:
Live Oak Brewing near the Airport.
ABGB south of the downtown. Pilsner and Helles are great.
Meanwhile Brewing south of TX 290, the Ben White expressway.

Ales
Pinthouse Pizza - several locations.
Hold Out Brewing.
St. Elmo Brewing
Many more that I haven't been too, or are new.

BBQ, too many to list. Black's in Lockhart is very good and a classic. Terry Black's in Austin is part of that family. La BBQ is very good. Micklethwait's (Sp) is good and has some specialties. Valentinas is tex-mex BBQ.

I could go on and on. This is a good BBQ guide-

https://www.texasmonthly.com/food/the-list-the-top-50-barbecue-joints-in-texas/

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline tommymorris

Austin, TX Breweries
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2023, 05:36:14 pm »
Don’t forget breakfast tacos!

This place was awesome:

Check out Joe's Bakery & Coffee Shop https://yelp.to/us9qcuw36L

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2023, 05:57:47 pm »
My favorite thing about Austin is watching the bats come out at dusk from under the Congress Ave bridge. It is really impressive.
I would trust Jeff's recommendations on BBQ and beer. 
There are lots of cool restaurants in the South Congress area if you don't have a car. Rainey St also has some good pubs for craft beer.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2023, 07:08:17 pm »
My favorite thing about Austin is watching the bats come out at dusk from under the Congress Ave bridge. It is really impressive.
I would trust Jeff's recommendations on BBQ and beer. 
There are lots of cool restaurants in the South Congress area if you don't have a car. Rainey St also has some good pubs for craft beer.

Thanks Jeff.

Check on the bats with the tourist Office, they migrate, but may still be there.

Rainey Street has undergone some development in recent years. The funky little places are becoming high rises. Bangers has Artisinal Sausages and 100 taps of beer. Craft Pride may not be there anymore, hard to tell.

The area between 4th and 6th east of I-35  has some good stops. Brew and Brew is coffee and and a multitap. There are several Breweries and restaurants sprinkled in there. I see there is an Easy Tiger location nos, and the old one on 6th street doesn't come up. 6th street west of I-35 is the college crowd party district that gets hosed down in the mornings.

With a car you could check out Jester King and the other places to the West. You would want one to be sober driving out in the Hill Country with the narrow curvy roads. We like Dripping Springs, and the Barber Shop is a well known Hill Country multitap.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline waltsmalt

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2023, 05:05:22 am »
Thanks guys.  Appreciate all the great info.  We are there for a week (working remotely some of the days) so I'll have a lot of time to explore.  We are going to hit Fredricksburg on Sunday as my wife is into wine and I'm hoping to get some decent German food as well. 

Does anyone think Franklin's BBQ is worth the morning wait?  I have a friend (who is really into BBQ) swears it's the best, but I've also been told otherwise by some people who live there.  They have also suggested Black's as the place to go.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2023, 09:43:59 am »
Franklin was the best I've had. I've not been to Snows.

Edit-Blacks in Lockhart is good, has a lot of sides, but unless it has improved it is not the best brisket.

A couple listed above are 80-90% as good with a 10-20% wait.

If your out in Fredericksburg the Nimitz and WWII Navy museums are very good. The best wineries in TX are out there. On my visit to Altstadt Brewing I was not impressed, but they have won many awards since.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2023, 01:10:11 pm by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2023, 10:33:47 am »
Rainey Street has undergone some development in recent years. The funky little places are becoming high rises. Bangers has Artisinal Sausages and 100 taps of beer. Craft Pride may not be there anymore, hard to tell.

The area between 4th and 6th east of I-35  has some good stops. Brew and Brew is coffee and and a multitap. There are several Breweries and restaurants sprinkled in there. I see there is an Easy Tiger location nos, and the old one on 6th street doesn't come up. 6th street west of I-35 is the college crowd party district that gets hosed down in the mornings.

Rainey Street has gone through a lot of changes. Many of the bars are gone, including Craft Pride. Bangers is still there.

Easy Tiger left 6th and moved on the other side of I-35. There's a lot of breweries and good restaurants over on that side of town.

--

There are a lot of new breweries open in Austin since I moved out of the state. I agree with recommendations for Live Oak, Pinthouse and ABGB. I'd also try to hit Austin Beerworks if you're on the north side at all. Live Oak is right by the airport. Pinthouse has three locations around Austin. There are a cluster of breweries around Austin Beerworks. That area south of downtown has a lot of good food and brewery options but a little more spread out. It's not hard to burn a day hitting breweries in that northwest corner, or south of downtown, or east of downtown.

Austin doesn't have a lot of beer bars but there are a few if you're trying to taste more beers but move less. Bangers is a solid choice. Austing Draft House brews their own beer but also has a good list. They are in the northwest down the street from a Pinthouse location. Easy Tiger will have a small but good list. Oddly enough some of the Whole Foods grocery stores will have a decent list at their growler stations. Alamo Drafthouse Cinema are movie theaters with good beer bars. You can drink at the bar without seeing a movie. Barber Shop in Dripping Springs if you get thirsty heading that way. Whip In south of downtown usually has some good options. I would look online at the list of any of these places before driving over. Sometimes the lists aren't great or not what you like to drink.

Of course, if you really want to derail that trip west about halfway out you can drop down to Real Ale in Blanco and/or go up to Johnson City where there are a few breweries, some good bars and some wineries. Shortly before Dripping Springs you can hit Jester King. There are a couple other breweries over there and I believe there is/was a meadery. I believe there's also a winery right there.

One thing I will say is to think a lot about traffic and time to move places. The freeways will be at a crawl during rush hour during the week. If you're there during a UT football game you'll want to avoid I-35 that entire day. Everywhere near the university and downtown will likely be packed all day and remain packed all night if they win. That stretch of 290 exiting Austin to the west is always a mess and absolutely a mess on weekends. The intersection at 290 and 71 is usually packed on the weekend and it's confusing. Look at the intersection on the map to make sure you head out the right way. It's a long detour if you end up on 71 instead of 290. It's a nice drive once you get past that intersection.

On the subject of BBQ--unless you care a lot about BBQ you'll be happy eating brisket at any of the places named above. Franklin's is the tourist trap and the line will be long. If you care about saying you went to Franklin's then you should go. If not, I would look elsewhere. Terry Black's, La BBQ, Micklethwait are all well regarded options. If you go to Franklin's and balk at the line, Micklethwait is right down the street. There are several others right in that area. If you have a few people with you or an especially large appetite, you can pre-order Franklin's and skip the line. You have to order I believe at least five pounds of meat.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2023, 03:00:53 pm »

Rainey Street has gone through a lot of changes. Many of the bars are gone, including Craft Pride. Bangers is still there.

Easy Tiger left 6th and moved on the other side of I-35. There's a lot of breweries and good restaurants over on that side of town.

--

There are a lot of new breweries open in Austin since I moved out of the state. I agree with recommendations for Live Oak, Pinthouse and ABGB. I'd also try to hit Austin Beerworks if you're on the north side at all. Live Oak is right by the airport. Pinthouse has three locations around Austin. There are a cluster of breweries around Austin Beerworks. That area south of downtown has a lot of good food and brewery options but a little more spread out. It's not hard to burn a day hitting breweries in that northwest corner, or south of downtown, or east of downtown.

Austin doesn't have a lot of beer bars but there are a few if you're trying to taste more beers but move less. Bangers is a solid choice. Austing Draft House brews their own beer but also has a good list. They are in the northwest down the street from a Pinthouse location. Easy Tiger will have a small but good list. Oddly enough some of the Whole Foods grocery stores will have a decent list at their growler stations. Alamo Drafthouse Cinema are movie theaters with good beer bars. You can drink at the bar without seeing a movie. Barber Shop in Dripping Springs if you get thirsty heading that way. Whip In south of downtown usually has some good options. I would look online at the list of any of these places before driving over. Sometimes the lists aren't great or not what you like to drink.

Of course, if you really want to derail that trip west about halfway out you can drop down to Real Ale in Blanco and/or go up to Johnson City where there are a few breweries, some good bars and some wineries. Shortly before Dripping Springs you can hit Jester King. There are a couple other breweries over there and I believe there is/was a meadery. I believe there's also a winery right there.

One thing I will say is to think a lot about traffic and time to move places. The freeways will be at a crawl during rush hour during the week. If you're there during a UT football game you'll want to avoid I-35 that entire day. Everywhere near the university and downtown will likely be packed all day and remain packed all night if they win. That stretch of 290 exiting Austin to the west is always a mess and absolutely a mess on weekends. The intersection at 290 and 71 is usually packed on the weekend and it's confusing. Look at the intersection on the map to make sure you head out the right way. It's a long detour if you end up on 71 instead of 290. It's a nice drive once you get past that intersection.

On the subject of BBQ--unless you care a lot about BBQ you'll be happy eating brisket at any of the places named above. Franklin's is the tourist trap and the line will be long. If you care about saying you went to Franklin's then you should go. If not, I would look elsewhere. Terry Black's, La BBQ, Micklethwait are all well regarded options. If you go to Franklin's and balk at the line, Micklethwait is right down the street. There are several others right in that area. If you have a few people with you or an especially large appetite, you can pre-order Franklin's and skip the line. You have to order I believe at least five pounds of meat.

Everytime I'm in Austin the changes make me pause. "When did this happen?" I ask myself.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline waltsmalt

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2023, 06:25:54 am »
Just wrapping up a great week in Austin.  We were here to celebrate my 50th birthday.  Some of the highlights:

Franklin BBQ was as good as described by others here and friends of mine.  Wait midweek was very tolerable and they provide chairs.  Easy to sit and drink a few beers and catch up on emails while out of the office.  We also went to Black's, Mickelthwait and Salt Lick.  I enjoyed all of those, but think Franklin was the best. 

Fredricksburg felt a bit like a tourist trap, and I wouldn't really need to go back.  We are really not into shopping, so felt like lunch at a German restaurant was all we accomplished.  We did stop at a winery and were pleasantly surprised by the quality. 

As for beer, I purchased some Altstadt and thought it was a decent Kolsch.  We went to Austin Beerworks, Lazerus, Hold Out, Jester King, and Pintworks Pizza.  My favorite was probably either Lazerus or Hold Out.  I didn't really care of the vibe at Jester King as they essentially open a can or bottle and pour you what you want.  The pizza there was pretty good.

Stayed at a great Air BnB that was about 5 miles north of downtown.  It was a Casita in a quiet area. 

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions as it was helpful throughout the week.