Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: maple wood  (Read 456 times)

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
maple wood
« on: October 06, 2023, 10:36:41 pm »
i think im going to go ahead with adding a large amount of maple wood to a strong beer.

i did read that maple scorches easily, so will go for a lower temp roasting it in the oven as per my method with oak. also watched a video where someone used it in distilled spirit and they said the result was "okay". https://youtu.be/XC7O1cIBr9M?t=502 descriptions are sweet/somewhat mapley, decently refined

i have a large amount of maple wood that will be suitable.

any experiences?

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Re: maple wood
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2023, 06:11:24 am »
Shouldn’t you be the resident expert on all things maple?  ;)
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2023, 10:21:34 am »

i think im going to make a simple, basic but strong beer and give it a go anyway. i have the maple chunks. im thinking something like 30 mins at 300f, maybe 45 mins. monitoring it for scorching/burning.

call me crazy as well but i dont buy the "maple syrup doesnt give any flavour" legend. i understand it, but what is maple syrup? it can vary in strength of flavour as well as concentration of sugars. i had a baltic porter that was rested on maple syrup in a barrel and definitely got some maple flavour.

and yeah i guess i know a bit about maples. are they honestly not a common/the most common tree in most of the states? i think you live in california, so i wouldnt strongly guess that place

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2023, 12:25:15 pm »
No experience but I know when it comes to smoking meat, maple isn't often used because it has such a mild flavor. I would be concerned about using an excessive amount to try to extract flavor and ending up with excessive tannins. It's an interesting idea but I would start with a typical wood addition volume, wait a month or so and then see if another addition is needed. You can always add but hard to get excess back out of the beer.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2023, 12:32:38 pm »

i think im going to make a simple, basic but strong beer and give it a go anyway. i have the maple chunks. im thinking something like 30 mins at 300f, maybe 45 mins. monitoring it for scorching/burning.

call me crazy as well but i dont buy the "maple syrup doesnt give any flavour" legend. i understand it, but what is maple syrup? it can vary in strength of flavour as well as concentration of sugars. i had a baltic porter that was rested on maple syrup in a barrel and definitely got some maple flavour.

and yeah i guess i know a bit about maples. are they honestly not a common/the most common tree in most of the states? i think you live in california, so i wouldnt strongly guess that place
I actually live in a rural part of Massachusetts where there are plenty of maples. Just couldn’t resist to joke about the Canadian asking for ma0le advice what with the flag and all. I would say New England is just about as mapley as Canada.
I agree that maple flavor can be retained in a brew. We make a lot of maple mead. It’s important t9 use grade B maple syrup.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.