Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: room temp for a hefe  (Read 349 times)

Offline YorkshireBrewer

• 1st Kit
room temp for a hefe
« on: October 08, 2023, 07:23:18 am »

I just brewed a 12-gallon extract Hefeweizen and checked the temp of the room where i am keeping the carboy, it is 59 degrees. How low is too low for problems to start in fermenting? Also is there anything i can do like put a towel over it to raise temps?

Thanks

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: room temp for a hefe
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2023, 08:38:28 am »
You need to be concerned with beer temp, not room temperature. That said,  hef generally likes to be a bit warmer for flavor development. Fermentation will raise the temp a bit. Using a towel will help hold that heat.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2023, 01:20:20 pm »
It will turn out unusually clean if held at that cool temperature.  Wrapping it in warm blankets might help raise it a few degrees.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2023, 02:52:36 pm »
Having a 59F basement sounds like a luxury, but as mentioned, its the temp of the fermenting beer that matters. For a Hefe, the best fermentation temp is about 62F for a more clove-focused expression. But you can bump that up by a degree or two if you prefer more banana expression. I find that 63F is pretty nice.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks