Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Grain Comparison  (Read 543 times)

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
Grain Comparison
« on: October 17, 2023, 02:37:22 pm »
Best Malz Red X vs Dingemans Special B

Is there any comparison between these two malts? I think Red X has both a Munich like and Crystal like properties. Special B has what is described as an intense, heavy caramel taste that is reminiscent of raisons, figs and toffee.

I am formulating a Chimay Blue clone that I will be triple fermenting. I think that they are probably interchangeable but that is an assumption.

I could/might use both malts but I want to keep the grain bill simple. Please give me your opinions.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Grain Comparison
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2023, 02:57:22 pm »

Is there any comparison between these two malts? I think Red X has both a Munich like and Crystal like properties. Special B has what is described as an intense, heavy caramel taste that is reminiscent of raisons, figs and toffee.

I am formulating a Chimay Blue clone that I will be triple fermenting. I think that they are probably interchangeable but that is an assumption.

I could/might use both malts but I want to keep the grain bill simple. Please give me your opinions.

Completely different.  Red X can be used as a base malt.  Special B is more of a crystal. Personally, I wouldn't use either for that beer.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2023, 03:55:41 pm »

Completely different.  Red X can be used as a base malt.  Special B is more of a crystal. Personally, I wouldn't use either for that beer.

Good to know, Thanks Denny!
My first thought for a recipe is Bel. Pils, Cara 45, maybe some wheat and candi syrup, either D-45 and/or D-90

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2023, 06:19:00 pm »
I love red x but it’s like a super powered Munich malt. It is no sub for special b
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2023, 09:51:37 am »
echoing what everyone else is saying. Special B is extremely raisiny.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2023, 10:51:00 am »
In my opinion, Red X malt is a 1-trick pony. When used as 100% of the grist in a 1.050 beer, once it is clear the beer is a gorgeous red color that you just can't get from any other malt. The downside is that it is also very malty-rich in flavor. YMMV, but the flavor is just too much for me. It's like a Dunkel with a bunch of extra Melanoiden or Aromatic malt added - it becomes so rich where crosses the point of enjoyment for me.

On the other side, when used in lower portions of the grist, you don't get the full color effect. I'd rather use roast barley or a crystal malt to get a ruddy color in a beer at that point.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2023, 11:02:12 am »
I know a guy who used to brew Vienna Lagers with it.  He won many awards and it was a pretty colored beer, too.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2023, 11:12:39 am »
I like red x at 50% of the grist. My shop stopped carrying it so I’m going to start experimenting with proximity red malt
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2023, 04:38:33 pm »
Definitely not interchangeable. Although special B sometimes appears in BDSA/quad recipes, I don't believe it has any special B in it. Chimay blue is lighter than a lot of beers in that class and leans more towards the lighter crystal malt and lighter candy syrup end.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing