Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: put (100ml) sample of yeast slurry in fridge doubly sealed 6 months ago  (Read 324 times)

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
put (100ml) sample of wlp833 yeast slurry in fridge doubly sealed 6 months ago. havent touched it since.

my plan is to add it to a normal 1 litre starter. then add this to a second runnings wort of 8 litres of ~1.035 gravity wort off of a big beer.

i plan to check for activity from this and maybe take a small amount from this and then make a NEW starter or if it looks really active then just take most of the slurry and use that in the real beer.

1. 1 litre SNS starter
2. 8 litre pseudo beer (wont be drunk, just growing the yeast)
3. using this yeast in a real wort.

sounds okay?

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: put (100ml) sample of yeast slurry in fridge doubly sealed 6 months ago
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2023, 10:46:39 am »
Step 2 is probably overkill. As long as the initial SNS starter smells good and performs well, you can probably pitch it direct into your beer.

If you really want to take the extra step in the middle, I'd make it drinkable. 8 liters of a mild or bitter is better than 8 liters down the drain.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: put (100ml) sample of yeast slurry in fridge doubly sealed 6 months ago
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2023, 08:03:18 pm »
Step 2 is probably overkill. As long as the initial SNS starter smells good and performs well, you can probably pitch it direct into your beer.

If you really want to take the extra step in the middle, I'd make it drinkable. 8 liters of a mild or bitter is better than 8 liters down the drain.

thanks, just wanted a second opinion on this and yeah, of course the main thing is - try it and see.

i'll probably drink a bunch of it, if it seems decent i may even bottle it, but im kinda lazy and strapped for time irl.