Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How can a Heavy Ale Taste Good at One Week?  (Read 453 times)

Offline Clint Yeastwood

• Assistant Brewer
How can a Heavy Ale Taste Good at One Week?
« on: October 20, 2023, 06:22:01 pm »
I feel I am wading into the domain of Denny Conn here.

I made me a heavy ale. It's called Happy Halfwit. The bill looks like:

5 lbs Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM)
4 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM)
2 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
1 lbs 8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)
1 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM)
1 lbs table sugar

I used Abbaye and Sabro hops. I boiled and steeped, and I used 1 ounce for dry hopping in the fermenter, dropped in after one day.

This beer was supposed to start at 1.084, but I was experimenting to see if a beer this big with this much wheat would work in the Braumeister, and I came out at 1.073. Using an online calculator, I got up to 1.084. I think. I was having some refractometer issues.

I fermented at 65, and it went off really fast. I used a keg but did not attach a spunding valve until the action was pretty much over. That took something like two days. I thought it would take a lot longer. I tested it with a hydrometer, and I got 1.017. The gravity didn't move for two days, and it was below the target, so I figured it must be done. I'm confident in the FG. Hydrometers are not that big a challenge.

I kegged it because the gravity was so low and nothing was happening. I put it on around 10 lbs. of CO2 at 55. The sample I tried was harsh. It had some burn, and I tasted solvent. I figured I would go back a week later and see what was happening. I expected it to go at least a couple of weeks before it became worth drinking.

Today, of course, I could not resist trying a sample. The harshness was gone, completely. I would expect to at least have yeast bite, but I don't, and I didn't use finings or cold crash. It doesn't burn at all in the mouth, but you feel it later, lower down.

It's divine. I poured this glass at around 55, and it's still perfect by my standards, even with the high temperature exposing everything. I kind of wish I could keep it at 55, but it's too inconvenient.

Two questions.

1. What the hell? How did this happen? I keep thinking it must not be finished, but the FG seems solid. I'm not so stupid I can't work a hydrometer. Also, I've had 12 ounces, and I can definitely feel it. This is no 5% stout.

2. Are big beers just plain easier to do well? I brewed ONE WEEK ago. I have no idea what I'm doing. I wrote this recipe in 2004, when I was even more ignorant than I am now. It was great then, and it's great now. Far as I can tell, it tastes like it did then, even with the screwup and the DME. Do big beers just plain taste better? Are heavy recipes more forgiving, or what?

i guess I should also ask if big beers need more dry-hopping. This beer has a great aroma, but I'm not even sure I can tell where the hops are.

It doesn't have the over-the-top funk some heavy beers have. I tried Dribbling Moron or whatever it is, and while I thought it was a great beer, it had a funk I could not make myself enjoy.

Go ahead. Make my IPA.

Eccentricity is its own reward.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: How can a Heavy Ale Taste Good at One Week?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2023, 08:48:22 am »
1. Not inconceivable

2. Not necessarily easier. Often (to me) better tasting simply because you use more ingredients,  therefore more flavor.

No, don't necessarily need more dry hops.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Clint Yeastwood

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2023, 05:27:11 pm »
Thanks for the info. I may have to keep a big beer on tap all the time from now on.
Go ahead. Make my IPA.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2023, 08:19:26 am »
Thanks for the info. I may have to keep a big beer on tap all the time from now on.

I do. The key for me is to drink it sparing.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Clint Yeastwood

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2023, 10:17:02 am »
I had two miniature pint glasses of this beer last night and fell asleep a short time later.

The glasses are great. Like British pub glasses, but they hold 9 ounces.
Go ahead. Make my IPA.

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2023, 10:29:05 am »
I have some brandy snifters that work great for imperials. They hold about 3 oz each.
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society and the League of Drews.

Offline Clint Yeastwood

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2023, 04:49:14 pm »
I decided to get some more appropriate glasses. I ordered 16-ounce Libby tulip glasses. Should get the job done while standing up to the dishwasher. I think a pint is a lot of beer when it's this strong, but this beer makes a lot of head, so I think I should be able to get a good 12-ounce pour.

I also have very small snifters. Useful for more than just brandy.
Go ahead. Make my IPA.