Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cinnamon Sticks  (Read 346 times)

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
Cinnamon Sticks
« on: October 26, 2023, 07:08:44 am »
Greetings all, i bottled a spiced brew yesterday that was intended to highlight cinnamon.  In a 5 gal. batch of what I might describe as a Sweet White Stout, I added 2.0 oz. cinnamon sticks at the beginning of the boil.  Just tossed them in.

I tasted the finished (but not carbonated) brew yesterday and it didn’t have the cinnamon potency I was looking for.  So, I’m wondering if I should have added the cinnamon sticks toward the end of the boil.  Would that have even made a difference?

Edit:  I also added another 2.0 oz. Of sticks to the secondary for three days.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2023, 07:10:28 am by KellerBrauer »
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
Re: Cinnamon Sticks
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2023, 12:25:41 pm »
Those cinnamon flavors and aromas are likely to be created by volatile compounds. Adding the stick at the beginning of boil probably resulted in a loss of those components. I suggest that adding late in the boil and in the fermenter would be better for obtaining its effect.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2023, 02:27:42 pm »
Those cinnamon flavors and aromas are likely to be created by volatile compounds. Adding the stick at the beginning of boil probably resulted in a loss of those components. I suggest that adding late in the boil and in the fermenter would be better for obtaining its effect.

+1
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2023, 07:53:14 am »
I had a feeling about that and it makes sense.  Thanks!!!
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉