Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Swing Top Bottles  (Read 544 times)

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
Swing Top Bottles
« on: October 26, 2023, 03:55:15 pm »
Will swing top bottles hold the required pressure of a bottle fermented Belgian beer that has 2.5-3.0 volumes??

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Swing Top Bottles
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2023, 05:03:06 pm »
Will swing top bottles hold the required pressure of a bottle fermented Belgian beer that has 2.5-3.0 volumes??

2.5 to 3.0 volumes yes, imho. not sure about higher, but i believe even that.

i have maybe 10 500ml swingtops and have definitely carbed them up to 3.0

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Swing Top Bottles
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2023, 06:09:55 am »
I believe good swing top bottles will hold the pressure. Most are pressure rated to 100 PSI or so.

…but I wouldn’t store an entire batch of beer in swing top bottles for very long. The silicone washer is porous and will allow gas exchange which will probably oxidize the beer over time.

If you were having a big party and wanted beer in buckets of ice sitting around, swing tops are great because you don’t have the waste of bottle caps.  …and you don’t have to trust that the tap on your keg was properly closed by guests.

I usually counter pressure fill four 500 ml swing top bottles once a month and take them to the brew club meeting. The beer is consumed within hours of filling.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2023, 04:03:12 pm by BrewBama »

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2023, 10:26:33 am »
I believe good swing top bottles will hold the pressure. Most are pressure rated to 100 PSI or so.

…but I wouldn’t store an entire batch of beer in swing top bottles for very long. The silicone washer is porous and will allow gas exchange which will probably oxidize the beer over time.

If you were having a big party and wanted beer in buckets of ice sitting around, swing tops are great because you don’t have the waste of bottle caps.  …and you don’t have to trust that your son in law closed the tap on your keg properly. I’ve found to just keep him away from the keg is the best policy.

I usually counter pressure fill four 500 ml swing top bottles once a month and take them to the brew club meeting. The beer is consumed within hours of filling.
I did not know that silicone could be porous. Will def be going with cork and wire in 750ml champagne style bottles. Thanks for the info!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2023, 10:51:57 am »
I should probably say permeable vs porous.

Silicone is considerably more permeable to gasses than most other rubbers which limits its use in some areas.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2023, 02:56:38 pm »
only barely related but i like to just do a few randoms of each batch as swing-tops since i can bring them for a walk, then seal them up when im done instead of having an open bottle with a bit of wet crud in the bottom to carry around

my fave appearance bottles are the short/squat german 500ml ones. lol they just look good.

sadly i left canada just after the canadian 341ml stubby bottles were officially discontinued. i had a small collection but they seem to have disappeared while i was gone.

they werent super aesthetic tbh though, just funny

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2023, 03:09:01 pm »
I made a batch of gushers in EZCap Swing-tops once. No idea  how many volumes it got to, but as soon as I cracked each one, it blew the lid across the room and nearly sprayed the ceiling — literally a five or six foot tall fountain of rapidly decarbonating liquid.

But neither the bottles nor the swing-tops failed.
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society and the League of Drews.

Online Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2023, 06:04:52 pm »
I should probably say permeable vs porous.

Silicone is considerably more permeable to gasses than most other rubbers which limits its use in some areas.
Yes, silicone is wonderful stuff for its durability and wide temperature range, but it is permeable to gases, especially oxygen. I know some keg lid seals (https://www.morebeer.com/products/corny-keg-lid-oring.html) are silicone, but that seems like a bad idea to me. I just purchased some Low2 O-rings for my keg lids (https://www.morebeer.com/products/low2-keg-lid-oring.html). It was time to replace my O-rings anyway, and this seemed like a good product. I don't know if anyone has any data on their efficacy.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline BrewBama

Swing Top Bottles
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2023, 07:44:50 pm »
I just received the Low2 O-Rings for my kegs as well. I don’t have any experience with them yet.

I sent a note and asked if Kegland was considering making Tri-Clamp seals as well as other size O-Rings with the same Low2 material. I am still waiting on their reply.

I just replaced my hoses with high temp ultra-low permeability hoses throughout the hot side of the brewery.  I use barrier tubing for keg lines as well.

Update; Here’s the reply:

“Thank you for reaching out. At this time there are no plans to make TC gaskets from this same material. We will bring this up to our product managers and designers.

With luck all gaskets may be made out of this material in the future.”
« Last Edit: October 30, 2023, 09:06:28 pm by BrewBama »