Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: "belgians consume dextrins"??  (Read 563 times)

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
"belgians consume dextrins"??
« on: November 01, 2023, 07:34:05 pm »

saw this at the end of a nice article which also mentioned pH affecting alpha-amylase and beta amylase activity in a mash.

lumping STA+ and "belgian" yeasts together in this pic as consuming/breaking down dextrins???

thoughts? not from my experience with just a few belgian strains. is this partially correct or ??

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: "belgians consume dextrins"??
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2023, 09:09:50 pm »
No, not correct. Where is this from?
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2023, 09:22:08 pm »
No, not correct. Where is this from?

i got this as an email from omega. i did see the particular writers and technical "experts" named, and the oldest was probably 30.

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2023, 06:20:10 am »
I think maybe their art department turned "STA+ Belgians" (meaning STA+ saison strains) into "STA + Belgians" (appearing to mean STA and Belgian strains).

???
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society and the League of Drews.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2023, 01:13:49 pm »
I think maybe their art department turned "STA+ Belgians" (meaning STA+ saison strains) into "STA + Belgians" (appearing to mean STA and Belgian strains).

???
That makes sense to me. There's a space between STA1 and the plus sign that should not be there. Also, this is a broad generalization. There are English strains that ferment maltotriose, wine strains that ferment maltose (K1V even ferments maltotriose to a degree), etc.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2023, 04:22:24 pm »

???

okay, my bad im guessing fully that is what it is. but that is really silly because then other belgians?? and yeah i loathe people saying "english strains = 65% attenuation max, non POF, hyper flocculators" etc

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2023, 05:53:46 pm »
Also, this is a broad generalization.

okay, my bad im guessing fully that is what it is. but that is really silly because then other belgians?? and yeah i loathe people saying "english strains = 65% attenuation max, non POF, hyper flocculators" etc

I agree, this graphic is a wild oversimplification. 

The point is a good one — different strains have different abilities to consume different sugars. But I suspect you'd find as much variation within those groups as between them.
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society and the League of Drews.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2023, 09:27:57 am »

???

Even STA1 + saisons isn't accurate because some strains labeled saison strains lack the STA1 gene.

It's unfortunate that they are trying to make a good point here about how different yeasts can ferment different types of sugar but in an inaccurate way that is going to be repeated into homebrewing lore.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2023, 11:06:13 am »
Why don't you guys let them know they're wrong? Maybe they have an explanation you haven't thought of. And maybe not. But speculation isn't getting us anywhere.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell