Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Using ChatGPT to create recipes  (Read 1729 times)

Offline BrewnWKopperKat

• Cellarman
Re: Using ChatGPT to create recipes
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2024, 07:09:01 pm »
It sounds like Denny and I are in agreement about one thing: the whole process is fun, and for me, the creativity of writing recipes is essential. If I had to use recipes other people, or my toaster, wrote, I'd probably quit.

+1.  And can I join the group?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's important to remember that ChatGPT is a full-blown moron.

Morons are capable of thought.  LLMs, not so much.

LLMs (like ChatGPT) can be good at summarizing information, but I wouldn't consider LLMs to be creative. 

For some background on LLMs (and ChatGPT), consider giving this a read:

What Is ChatGPT Doing … and Why Does It Work?
It’s Just Adding One Word at a Time
-- https://writings.stephenwolfram.com/2023/02/what-is-chatgpt-doing-and-why-does-it-work/

Like any other category of "software", it has a use. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is it artificial?  Yes

Is it intelligent?  No; it's statistical word generation.

When I use it for work, I can save some time by using it to summarize a topic within a body of knowledge.  Generally, the time savings comes from the creation of the summary.  I seem to spend the same amount of time verifying the information.

Code generation is currently "hit or miss" - much like "stack overflow" topics.

Overall, it feels like ChatGPT is "bing on steroids" with a different "gate keeper" who obscures original sources.

Back to brewing beer at home: here's a starter "prompt" for comparing 30 min and 90 min boils ...

limit the context to brewing beer at home.  do not anthropomorphize responses.  further limit responses to base malts (but exclude pilsen malt).  Summarize the strengths of a 90 minute boil when compared to a 30 minute boil

Offline Clint Yeastwood

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2024, 07:37:10 pm »
I think one problem with ChatGPT is that people assume it's perfect instead of finding out what it's good at and using it for whatever that is. I'm a lawyer, and the legal establishment is now telling us horror stories about incompetent lawyers who let ChatGPT write memoranda of law. It makes cases up. So not really a lawyer, but useful when you want to know how to refinish a door.

It kind of reminds me of people's attitudes about Einstein. He was a tremendous idiot about a lot of things, but people think that because he was a great physicist, everything he said about anything was great advice.
Go ahead. Make my IPA.

Eccentricity is its own reward.

Offline BrewnWKopperKat

• Cellarman
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2024, 10:09:41 am »
I think one problem with ChatGPT is that people assume it's perfect instead of finding out what it's good at and using it for whatever that is. [...]
Agreed.   

I find that, with the right prompts, it can be useful for summarizing a topic. 

I'll suggest being extremely cautious when trying to use it to learn something new - quality educational material is quality material because it's reviewed and edited. 

As for creating content, I could see using it outline a topic, then write a first draft of various sections.  Reviews and editing are still necessary to produce quality content. 

eta: one area of LLM research involves training LLMs on LLM generated content.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2024, 10:13:39 am by BrewnWKopperKat »