Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Using ChatGPT to create recipes  (Read 1741 times)

Offline OpenFracture

• 1st Kit
  • Homebrewing since 2015
Using ChatGPT to create recipes
« on: November 03, 2023, 09:44:35 am »
Today I decided to see if ChatGPT could create a homebrew recipe.  The answer is yes.   Describe the style of beer you want, any flavor characteristics and  - poof- recipe.   I will be playing with this for my next few brews.  the system will even give it to you in BeerXML if requested. 

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
Re: Using ChatGPT to create recipes
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2023, 12:28:04 pm »
Using ChatGPT to design a base recipe can be fun, but make sure to use your own common sense because my experience is that it's pulling from a lot of older freely available recipes and can have a lot of strange attributes from that (like a lot of crystal malt - a lot)
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2023, 12:41:30 pm »
Using ChatGPT to design a base recipe can be fun, but make sure to use your own common sense because my experience is that it's pulling from a lot of older freely available recipes and can have a lot of strange attributes from that (like a lot of crystal malt - a lot)

agreed. I've seen some pretty bad recipes from it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Online neuse

• Brewer
  • New Bern, NC
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2023, 01:28:41 pm »
And I've seen some that had errors and misunderstandings.

Offline BrewnWKopperKat

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2023, 04:20:34 pm »
Today I decided to see if ChatGPT could create a homebrew recipe.  The answer is yes.   Describe the style of beer you want, any flavor characteristics and  - poof- recipe.   I will be playing with this for my next few brews.  the system will even give it to you in BeerXML if requested.
One of the advantages of books and videos is that you can often chat with the creators of that content. 

Simple Homebrewing has an excellent chapter on recipe templates. 

For classic styles, there is Designing Great Beers and Brewing Classic Styles

"Mean Brews" is popular video channel that covers styles and recipes. 

Basic Brewing Radio has a recent set of podcasts on recipes and recipe designs. 

The strengths of these resources is that they are a "single voice" rather than (currently) statistically generated text. 

Why accept an intermediary when you can go straight to the source and often chat with the authors?

Offline Ortizer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2023, 11:20:08 pm »
One of the advantages of books and videos is that you can often chat with the creators of that content. 

Simple Homebrewing has an excellent chapter on recipe templates. 

For classic styles, there is Designing Great Beers and Brewing Classic Styles

"Mean Brews" is popular video channel that covers styles and recipes. 

Basic Brewing Radio has a recent set of podcasts on recipes and recipe designs. 

The strengths of these resources is that they are a "single voice" rather than (currently) statistically generated text. 

Why accept an intermediary when you can go straight to the source and often chat with the authors?
Because one wants to see if the technology is capable of it most likely.

Or to avoid talking to people.  Could be either.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2023, 06:49:22 am »
I played with ChatGPT a cpl times a while back. It was fun but I never brewed the recipe or use it often.

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2023, 07:02:07 am »
Why? When there are so many tried and true recipes available at your fingertips... why? When you can get recipes directly from craft brewers... why?
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2023, 07:40:07 am »
Here is my 2 cents on it. I enjoy creating a recipe. The time spent researching and applying ideas to a recipe is relaxing. It helps to keep the mind active, at least for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline OpenFracture

• 1st Kit
  • Homebrewing since 2015
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2023, 07:46:12 am »
Why? When there are so many tried and true recipes available at your fingertips... why? When you can get recipes directly from craft brewers... why?

Because I want to learn new things.  I want to experiment with small changes.  With Chat GPT I can put in a recipe from another source and then ask for it to have a little more citrus, or maybe a little more malt character and it will adjust it.  My go to for recipes has always been BCS.  I am also interested in brewing some of the Brewdog recipes that they published.   I only get to brew once in a while, but I can play with recipes and read about this hobby everyday.  Looking at ChatGPT was just something else to make me think about it. 

Offline BrewnWKopperKat

• Cellarman
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2023, 08:40:10 am »

Because I want to learn new things.  I want to experiment with small changes.  With Chat GPT I can put in a recipe from another source and then ask for it to have a little more citrus, or maybe a little more malt character and it will adjust it.  My go to for recipes has always been BCS.  I am also interested in brewing some of the Brewdog recipes that they published.   I only get to brew once in a while, but I can play with recipes and read about this hobby everyday.  Looking at ChatGPT was just something else to make me think about it.

With regard to hops, Stan H and Scott J are two (of a number) of experts.  Their best work is in copyrighted material (books or videos behind paywalls).

Offline BrewnWKopperKat

• Cellarman
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2023, 05:19:06 am »
And I've seen some that had errors and misunderstandings.
FWIW, within AI/ML, a term for this is "hallucinations".  I've seen (and skimmed) articles recently from organizations that are trying to quantify it. 

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2023, 06:50:39 am »

You are not going to learn anything from AI. You need to get your hands dirty and learn the flavors of each ingredient yourself. If you have time to read something read Randy Mosher's Mastering Homebrew. It will walk you through the recipe design process and how to use ingredients that work together well.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline Tfwebster

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2023, 02:34:17 pm »
I used it to design a Mexican lager. I had to make a couple of adjustments,  but it was a good beer.
If reading about homebrewing is your thing, join Brewer's Book Club at  https://www.facebook.com/groups/754108348475546/

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2023, 03:44:12 pm »
I used it to design a Mexican lager. I had to make a couple of adjustments,  but it was a good beer.

Better than you could have done on your own?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell