Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Too cold?  (Read 298 times)

Offline nvshooter2276

• Assistant Brewer
Too cold?
« on: November 05, 2023, 08:22:13 pm »
Can the wort ever be too cold and kill the yeast because of the cold? I'm thinking of boiling four gallons of wort, then pour that once it's cooled in multiple water baths into three gallons of water that's been cooled-down to thirty-six degrees below ambient by one of those 12V electronic coolers that truckers use to keep their Red Bull icy-cold. Is it possible I could get the cooled-down wort with the cooled-down water so cold that I kill the yeast?

Does yeast go forth and multiply once pitched? A billion cells go in. Do we have two billion cells 48 hours later?

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Too cold?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2023, 08:42:34 pm »
You can't kill yeast with cold unless you freeze them. They will go dormant and fall to the bottom of your fermenter and do nothing, but they will still be alive. If you warm them up and give them a lot of stuff to eat they will wake up and do their thing. The warmer they are the more active they will be, so the number at 48 hours is highly dependent on conditions. Cooling them way down may not be the best way to treat them, or the best way to get beer, that tastes the way you want, but it won't kill them.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline nvshooter2276

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Too cold?
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2023, 02:45:37 pm »
You can't kill yeast with cold unless you freeze them. They will go dormant and fall to the bottom of your fermenter and do nothing, but they will still be alive. If you warm them up and give them a lot of stuff to eat, they will wake up and do their thing.
I shall let the packets set at room temperature for a day or so. Doubtful the little cells will be hillary-slapped such that they forget their lines for their big scene...