Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Caramel as an Ingredient  (Read 491 times)

Offline Clint Yeastwood

• Assistant Brewer
Caramel as an Ingredient
« on: November 08, 2023, 03:37:28 pm »
Anyone here ever use caramel in beer? I mean caramel the ingredient, not Kraft caramels or Smucker's caramel sauce. You take sugar and a little water, and you burn it in a saucepan until you get a delicious brown liquid. It's used in things like flan. It's just burned table sugar. Period.

I asked about this somewhere else, and the discussion instantly descended into the Hell of Unsuccessful Internet Pedantry, with people Googling and scrambling, trying to redefine "caramel."

I like a little caramel flavor in some beers. I was thinking that even if the sugar remaining in the caramel got eaten by yeast, the new ingredients created by the burning might remain and flavor the beer a little.

Seems like it should work in any recipe calling for candi sugar or table sugar.

I left some Sierra Nevada Torpedo in my un-air-conditioned workshop for at least a year, and then I chilled some and drank it anyway, because that's how I am. It seemed to have developed a nice caramel flavor. I liked it better than Torpedo fresh from the store. I set it aside to age now. There was also a beer I liked when I was in college. Altenmuenster something or other, I think.
Go ahead. Make my IPA.

Eccentricity is its own reward.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Caramel as an Ingredient
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2023, 04:05:56 pm »
Caramel will likely ferment out completely and leave no flavor. Based on what you said, it seems the flavors you like likely come from oxidation. Try using a bit of crystal 60 to recreate that.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2023, 06:53:45 am »
Have you ever tried invert sugar? Invert #3 offers a wonderful, caramel like character. It also adds a lot of color too however. I have not used the lighter colored #1 or #2 but they might provide some of that flavor without so much color.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline Clint Yeastwood

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2023, 05:53:37 pm »
I have not tried it.
Go ahead. Make my IPA.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2023, 08:07:01 pm »
Have you ever tried invert sugar? Invert #3 offers a wonderful, caramel like character. It also adds a lot of color too however. I have not used the lighter colored #1 or #2 but they might provide some of that flavor without so much color.
I use Invert #2 all the time, and yes the color contribution is lower than #3. I find the flavor to be less in-your-face than #3, with a nice toffee/caramel note. I've subbed in #3 in place of Invert #2 in recipes and found the caramel flavor to be noticibly more potent.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2023, 01:53:17 pm »
btw, the same people who saw your post at hbt are also here.  ;)
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline brewthru

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2023, 02:25:48 pm »
Don't British yeast have somewhat of a caramel profile? Thoughts?

Offline BrewnWKopperKat

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2023, 02:58:33 pm »
There are a small number of personas who cross post questions -and- (almost always) bring out the best in each forum. 

Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing more of "Clint" here (and there). 

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2023, 03:40:11 pm »
Don't British yeast have somewhat of a caramel profile? Thoughts?

Not necessarily,  but many British beers use crystal malt, which would give that flavor
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Clint Yeastwood

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2023, 06:34:51 pm »
There are a small number of personas who cross post questions -and- (almost always) bring out the best in each forum. 

Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing more of "Clint" here (and there).

Thanks. This time, I brought out the worst over there, so I thought I would have better luck here. And I did.

Sometimes I irritate people because I'm an unorthodox brewer, and I ask questions that seem weird to people who are working hard to make the most of existing doctrine instead of wandering off on eccentric tangents that may or may not pay off. Can't really help that.
Go ahead. Make my IPA.