Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Yeast loss via blow off tube?  (Read 332 times)

Offline DillyDilly

• 1st Kit
Yeast loss via blow off tube?
« on: November 19, 2023, 05:59:53 pm »
I brewed a Scottish ale last week using Lalbrew Nottingham hi performance ale yeast with this kit from Michigan Brew Supply:
https://www.mibrewsupply.com/wee-heavy-extract-kit
I had a vigorous fermentation 24hrs after pitching the yeast resulting in a big blow out thru my blow off tube. Temp was towards the higher end of the recommended range at 70deg. Would I have lost yeast if this happens? OG was 1.072 (recipe says the target OG is 1.074). Final gravity target is 1.016 per the recipe. 1 week later and I'm still getting a bubble in my mason jar about every 30 seconds to a minute. I checked the gravity and it's 1.024 but it is tasty. I plan to let it go another week. My question is should I pitch another packet or half packet of yeast or just wait another week, then check the gravity again? Link to my pic of the controlled mess:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/uymJwxZwzJ3saXnJ9

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Yeast loss via blow off tube?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2023, 08:22:06 pm »
Let it go without adding any yeast. Yes, you probably lost a bit of yeast out your blowoff tube, but you obviously have plenty left. All that krausen filling the head space in your fermenter is filled with yeast. Wait until all of that has fallen and the surface is clear. Until then the yeast are still working. Once they all fall to the bottom of the beer they are finished. Then  you can check gravity a couple of times to be sure before packaging.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2023, 06:27:17 am »
You lost some yeast. Traditional Ale breweries would top crop the yeast, i.e. remove some for later fermentations. You have plenty left to finish the job.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline DillyDilly

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2023, 12:04:43 pm »
Thank you gentlemen! I will just do what they do in Vegas and Let it Ride.