Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Connecting a Grainfather G40 to a dryer outlet  (Read 798 times)

Offline graymax

• 1st Kit
Connecting a Grainfather G40 to a dryer outlet
« on: November 22, 2023, 05:16:17 pm »
Hi, everyone.

If you are "electrically challenged" as I am, you might find this useful.  To connect a Grainfather G40 power cord to a 4-prong dryer outlet, you will need an adapter.  The G40 power cord is a NEMA 6-20P (the "P" stands for plug -- the male end).  The dryer outlet I have, which is pretty common, is a NEMA 14-30R (the "R" stands for receptacle -- the female end).  I found the adapter at Home Depot but it wasn't in stock and had to be ordered from a company called AC Works (www.ACWORKS.com).  The adapter Item Description is: "10/3 STW 1 ft. 14-30P 30 Amp 4-Prong Dryer Plug to 6-15/20R 20 Amp 250-Volt T BI".  The Model Number is S1430620-012.  The Internet Number is 303873834.  It cost $56.99.  AC Works sells 20 Amp 250 Volt NEMA 6-20P/R extension cords in 10, 25, 50, 75, and 100-foot lengths but I cannot vouch for how safe or prudent using one of them would be.  As I indicated, I am not an electrician and I don't play one on TV.  I hope this saves you the four hours of online searching and two trips to Home Depot (a 50-mile round-trip for where I live) it took me to find it!  Happy brewing and happy Thanksgiving!  Cheers.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Connecting a Grainfather G40 to a dryer outlet
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2023, 04:27:49 am »
There are adapters for just about anything these days.  Online videos show how to put one together, too., but most important is installing a GFCI on the circuit!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2023, 05:20:09 am »
The best adapter I have for the brewery is a switch I picked up from Home Depot that keeps me from moving the dryer, unplugging the dryer, plugging in the brewery, moving the dryer, brewing, moving the dryer, unplugging the brewery, plugging in the dryer, and moving the dryer. 

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2023, 10:07:40 am »
If you are looking for a GFCI, this is what I was able to find.  Unfortunately, it's $132. 

https://www.grainger.com/product/SOUTHWIRE-Line-Cord-GFCI-6-ft-Cord-Lg-55CW92

Enjoy the G40.  I love mine.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline graymax

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2023, 05:51:27 pm »
Thanks, Narcout.  I got one.  It’s expensive but getting electrocuted would be a bummer!  What kind of a sparge do you typically do on your G40?

I had trouble before posting the link to the adapter but here it is: https://www.homedepot.com/p/AC-WORKS-10-3-STW-1-ft-14-30P-30-Amp-4-Prong-Dryer-Plug-to-6-15-20R-20-Amp-250-Volt-T-Blade-Connector-S1430620-012/303873834

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2023, 08:03:42 am »
Thanks, Narcout.  I got one.  It’s expensive but getting electrocuted would be a bummer!  What kind of a sparge do you typically do on your G40?

I had trouble before posting the link to the adapter but here it is: https://www.homedepot.com/p/AC-WORKS-10-3-STW-1-ft-14-30P-30-Amp-4-Prong-Dryer-Plug-to-6-15-20R-20-Amp-250-Volt-T-Blade-Connector-S1430620-012/303873834.

Regarding G40 sparge, I basically batch sparge.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline graymax

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2023, 01:04:47 pm »
Semper Sitientem: Uugghh.  Not sure why I was unable to find what you found on Amazon.  I looked.  Oh well.

Denny: I have your and Drew's book so I am looking forward to batch sparging.  :)

I have never been able to master fly sparging and since I use gravity, the sparge water heater is too high for my liking and ease of use.

Thanks.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2023, 04:17:43 pm »
@graymax you could also try no sparge.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2023, 09:41:17 am »
Semper Sitientem: Uugghh.  Not sure why I was unable to find what you found on Amazon.  I looked.  Oh well.

Denny: I have your and Drew's book so I am looking forward to batch sparging.  :)

I have never been able to master fly sparging and since I use gravity, the sparge water heater is too high for my liking and ease of use.

Thanks.
@graymax you could also try no sparge.

And taking it further, you can use your sparge vessel at or below waist height, then simply use a pitcher to transfer the sparge water incrementally - that is what I now do - I don't like to work more than 1 step off the ground, if I can make it work.  And for batch sparging - it works wonderfully!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2023, 12:59:13 pm »
What kind of a sparge do you typically do on your G40?

I stopped sparging awhile ago, so I've never really tried it with the G40.  Though I think it could be as simple as slowly pouring a few pitchers of water over the grain bed while the mash basket is suspended on the locking ring.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC