Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sterilizing bottles...  (Read 865 times)

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
Re: Sterilizing bottles...
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2023, 01:40:11 pm »
I have seen a really cool DIY cleaning rack made from PVC.  I was thinking of giving that a try and then hooking it up to my pump.  Haven't really thought about it in a while as life gets in the way.  I just plan it right and I can fit 48 bottles in my dishwasher on a night that my wife is not running it.  The dishwasher has a Sanitize cycle as well, so I choose that as well.  So far I have had good luck with it, but the DIY bug might hit me and I might try and make something.  Who knows.  LOL. 

Offline nvshooter2276

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2023, 01:50:45 pm »
I'm not sure why you need either marbles or glass rods. I fill a bucket with sanitizing solution (I use iodophor), then put the bottles in, filling them up as I go.

Yep. When you submerge the bottles they fill with water.

PET bottles float...

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2023, 03:11:18 pm »
I'm not sure why you need either marbles or glass rods. I fill a bucket with sanitizing solution (I use iodophor), then put the bottles in, filling them up as I go.

Yep. When you submerge the bottles they fill with water.

PET bottles float...

Mine don't when they're full of liquid
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline nvshooter2276

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2023, 05:10:14 pm »
I was unaware that PET bottles do not float when 100% filled with water. I assumed they would float, although I did not look-up the density of PET plastic. Not having to buy glass stirring rods means I will lose none in shipment.

Just looked it up: PET has a density of 1.38 grams/cubic centimeter. That's 38% greater than water at 1.00 grams/cubic centimeter. I had no idea. I figgered because it's a thinnish plastic, that a beer bottle made of it would float. I have learned something new, today. And saved a little bit of money...