Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: yeast starter krausen colour  (Read 316 times)

Offline twqqis

• 1st Kit
yeast starter krausen colour
« on: November 24, 2023, 09:07:43 am »
Hi all,
Back to brewing after a year hiatus.
Made a 1L starter from DME at 1.035 and added (at 22'C / 71F ) two test tubes that I defrosted slowly to room temp (21'C / 70'F)

About 18hrs later, I took this photo through the top hole down onto the wort.
I suspect this is low krausen? (as I haven't seen anything more intense than this)

I find the foam variation in colour interesting, is this normal (I've only done dry yeast before)
[ The darkest parts are the wort colour where there gaps in the foam, the foam itself has light brown parts and white parts]

It doesn't smell anything off, and the foam is moving around / the pattern changing very slowly over time.

click to enlarge

« Last Edit: November 24, 2023, 09:09:35 am by twqqis »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: yeast starter krausen colour
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2023, 09:45:28 am »
Looks normal in my experience
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline twqqis

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2023, 01:05:42 pm »
thanks Denny,
I'm not too worried, find it interesting :D

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2023, 05:16:53 pm »
looks really good

what yeast?

and welcome back to the hobby

Offline twqqis

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2023, 12:11:10 am »
Thanks Fred, it's good to be back :D

This was my 2nd brew after being back, the first being a Czech Amber Lager (3C) trying to aim for a Pilsner Urquell clone; I did a split batch with one half on s23 (as a lager) and the other on s04 (as an ale). The ale will be moved to a keg today, and the lager has just done it's first temp step up.
Purpose with this brew was just to get into things, and do use some dry yeast that is on it's due date, and as a practice run for a full batch PU clone when the liquid yeast arrives, waiting for the source (see below) to grow some.

The yeast that I posted the picture for, was used yesterday to make  a Scottish Export (14C) from a recipe I found on homebrewtalk forums.
It is LC003 from LiquidCulture (https://liquidculture.co.za/strains/north_european_style_strains), which is basically Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale.