Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Limoncello Recipe  (Read 642 times)

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
Limoncello Recipe
« on: December 06, 2023, 06:32:29 pm »
Looking for a limoncello recipe. A million on the web and not to sure what's what. Anybody have a recipe they are willing to share?

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Limoncello Recipe
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2023, 10:13:05 am »
I can't give you an exact recipe, because I always end up tweaking each batch, but it's pretty straightforward. Steep the zests in Everclear for 2-4 weeks (about 10-15 lemons per bottle of Everclear, IIRC), strain, add syrup to taste and dilute with additional water (if desired) to lower the proof to your desired level. Some tips:

A) Zest only! Use a Microplane to avoid the pith, or use a vegetable peeler and scrape any pith off the back of your peels. Otherwise you will get some undesirable bitterness
B) Use organic lemons. Non-organic citrus gets coated with wax to make them look pretty at the store. It is a PITA to scrub this all off.
C) Add some juice, crystallized lemon (True Lemon powder is great for this), or citric acid back in at the end. You won't often see this in recipes, but all the good commercial limoncellos have anywhere from slight to noticible acidity. Otherwise you just get an insipid, sweet cordial with no balance. Not enough acidity to make your mouth pucker, but enough to invite another sip. This is what sets good commercial products apart from 'meh' homemade stuff.

I make different batch sizes (and different fruit), so I just have ballpark concentrations that I target. My most recent batch of pompelmocello was 90 proof, ~200g/L of sugar and ~300mg/L of citric acid, and it was well balanced. I'm thinking of making a small batch of limecello this winter. I'll probably target more like 70 proof, and bump up the tartness slightly with fresh or crystallized lime juice.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2023, 12:40:10 pm »
I can't give you an exact recipe, because I always end up tweaking each batch, but it's pretty straightforward. Steep the zests in Everclear for 2-4 weeks (about 10-15 lemons per bottle of Everclear, IIRC), strain, add syrup to taste and dilute with additional water (if desired) to lower the proof to your desired level. Some tips:

A) Zest only! Use a Microplane to avoid the pith, or use a vegetable peeler and scrape any pith off the back of your peels. Otherwise you will get some undesirable bitterness
B) Use organic lemons. Non-organic citrus gets coated with wax to make them look pretty at the store. It is a PITA to scrub this all off.
C) Add some juice, crystallized lemon (True Lemon powder is great for this), or citric acid back in at the end. You won't often see this in recipes, but all the good commercial limoncellos have anywhere from slight to noticible acidity. Otherwise you just get an insipid, sweet cordial with no balance. Not enough acidity to make your mouth pucker, but enough to invite another sip. This is what sets good commercial products apart from 'meh' homemade stuff.

I make different batch sizes (and different fruit), so I just have ballpark concentrations that I target. My most recent batch of pompelmocello was 90 proof, ~200g/L of sugar and ~300mg/L of citric acid, and it was well balanced. I'm thinking of making a small batch of limecello this winter. I'll probably target more like 70 proof, and bump up the tartness slightly with fresh or crystallized lime juice.

Thank you! I appreciate the tips. I was wondering why I never see any recipes with the juice. I will look for the True Lemon powder. Cheers!

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2024, 09:21:36 am »
Here is the finished product. Soaked the peels of 15 organic lemons with one bottle of Everclear 190 proof for 28 days. Strained. Then I added 2 cups of simple syrup and topped off with distilled water, let sit at room temp for a few days. This yielded 2-750ml bottles bringing the % alcohol to 90 proof +/- It may be a tad on the sweet side but into the freezer it goes for a few more days and then another taste test. If it needs some balance which I'm guessing it will , so then some True Lemon powder will do.          Cheers!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2024, 10:26:01 am »
That looks beautiful. Enjoy!
Eric B.

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2024, 05:16:58 pm »

I'm surprised by how much color you got just from soaking the peel.
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society and the League of Drews.

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2024, 06:30:37 am »

I was surprised too. 1st time making it too. The color didn't turn like this until I topped up with distilled water.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2024, 09:25:50 am »

I was surprised too. 1st time making it too. The color didn't turn like this until I topped up with distilled water.
That may fade a bit as some of the solids drop out, but it is still an impressive color. I've some commercial products with that color, but not homemade before.
Eric B.