Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Briess Synergy Select Pilsen MaltGems  (Read 704 times)

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
Briess Synergy Select Pilsen MaltGems
« on: December 08, 2023, 10:12:09 am »
I thought about brewing with Briess Synergy Select Pilsen MaltGems. Any suggestions on this malt would be appreciated.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Briess Synergy Select Pilsen MaltGems
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2023, 09:21:34 am »
I just read up on this malt because I'd never heard of it before. It sounds really interesting. I rarely use 100% Pilsner malt in my recipes, because I find that I get a bit of husky/grassy notes that I'm not a huge fan of. I end up using 15-30% of Munich or Pale Ale malt to help cut back on that character. Having less husk material seems like it might be another way to solve the same problem.

I'm assuming that this only comes pre-crushed, right? Please let us know how this works for you. I might have to get my hands on some before I start brewing my spring and summer lagers.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2023, 11:12:34 am »
I just read up on this malt because I'd never heard of it before. It sounds really interesting. I rarely use 100% Pilsner malt in my recipes, because I find that I get a bit of husky/grassy notes that I'm not a huge fan of. I end up using 15-30% of Munich or Pale Ale malt to help cut back on that character. Having less husk material seems like it might be another way to solve the same problem.

I'm assuming that this only comes pre-crushed, right? Please let us know how this works for you. I might have to get my hands on some before I start brewing my spring and summer lagers.

Is that true of any pils malt you try?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2023, 12:51:27 pm »

At this point it's a matter of habit to add some Munich or Pale Ale malt when I'm designing recipes, so I can't say definitively that it's in every Pils malt I've tried. I get it the most from Weyermann's floor-malted Bo Pils, but I've gotten it from Best and Avangard as well. It's been a while since I've used Castle pils, but I think that might be the only one that I don't recall getting the grassiness from.
Eric B.

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2023, 12:58:51 pm »
You can get Briess Synergy Select Malt germs that are pre-crushed malt or uncrushed from Ritebrew.com.

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2023, 04:03:26 pm »

At this point it's a matter of habit to add some Munich or Pale Ale malt when I'm designing recipes, so I can't say definitively that it's in every Pils malt I've tried. I get it the most from Weyermann's floor-malted Bo Pils, but I've gotten it from Best and Avangard as well. It's been a while since I've used Castle pils, but I think that might be the only one that I don't recall getting the grassiness from.

It's strange how we perceive flavors from ingredients. I very often use Weyermann's FMG to the tune of 250-300 pounds a year and I never get that grassy taste. I suppose its similar to cilantro, some people get soap and some don't.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2023, 09:21:52 am »

Definitely from Weyermann in my experience. I've gotten it less from Best. You might check out Rahr North Star pils. I find it sweet and malty, with none of the green grassy taste I don't care for.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2023, 08:30:42 am by denny »

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2023, 09:24:43 am »

Definitely from Weyerhaeuser in my experience. I've gotten it less from Best. You might check out Rahr North Star pils. I find it sweet and malty, with none of the green grassy taste I don't care for.
Thanks for the tip!
Eric B.

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2023, 01:19:27 pm »
I agree with Denny that Rahr North Star Pilsner malt is great. I recently brewed an American lager and didn't notice any off flavors. I did a step mash because it has lower modification? I saw this on Don Osbourne YouTube brewing video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pU6VrP8cyR0
« Last Edit: December 10, 2023, 01:23:08 pm by purduekenn »

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2023, 08:49:14 am »
I agree with Denny that Rahr North Star Pilsner malt is great. I recently brewed an American lager and didn't notice any off flavors. I did a step mash because it has lower modification? I saw this on Don Osbourne YouTube brewing video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pU6VrP8cyR0

Single infusion is fine with it if you prefer.  DP is listed at 120-160. Way high, plenty to even convert other malts.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2023, 08:51:13 am by denny »

www.dennybrew.com

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2023, 01:58:31 pm »
Thanks Denny! I thought that might be the case but I can do a step mash fairly easy on the Anvil Foundry 10.5. So what the heck I did it! Rahr North Star was delicious when I used it to brew my latest American Pilsner. Next time I'll do a single infusion mash.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2023, 02:09:14 pm »
Thanks Denny! I thought that might be the case but I can do a step mash fairly easy on the Anvil Foundry 10.5. So what the heck I did it! Rahr North Star was delicious when I used it to brew my latest American Pilsner. Next time I'll do a single infusion mash.

As long as you avoid a protein rest, I doubt a step mash will hurt.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2023, 08:26:59 pm »
Ok thanks for the information.