Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hop utilization using hop bags  (Read 608 times)

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
Hop utilization using hop bags
« on: December 21, 2023, 04:12:07 pm »
I admit I don't follow brewing forums as much as I did 20 years ago, and am constantly amazed by some of the newer methods people are coming up with (I love "shaken not stirred as it fits in with my laziness...brilliant!)

Question:  As I recall the conventional wisdom for using hop bags for hop pellets is to use 50 percent more (or 1.5x what the recipe calls for) to account for the decrease in hop utilization from being in the bag. Is that still the accepted correction factor? And I also have one hop screen cylinders that sit on the edge of the kettle. I'm not sure about those things...the pellets just turn into a sludge and are never part of the main boil.

Seems like I always get my best results from using whole hops, but many varieties are becoming increasingly hard to find in whole hop form....especially continental noble hops.

Offline Semper Sitientem

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Hop utilization using hop bags
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2023, 04:54:51 pm »
I don’t know what the number is, but 50% seems like a lot. Maybe it’s more like 10%. Regardless , I’ve never adjusted when using hop bags. At my 3 gallon batch level it probably won’t make too much of a difference. Regarding the hop spider, the lupulin is extracted and mixes into the wort leaving the vegetal matter (sludge) you don’t want in the spider.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2023, 06:29:20 am by Semper Sitientem »
Confidunt in cervisia nobis

Scientists believe that the universe is made of hydrogen, because they claim it’s the most plentiful ingredient. I claim that the most plentiful ingredient is stupidity. - Frank Zappa

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2023, 05:57:18 am »
I use a correction factor of 1.00.  Or maybe it's 1.05.  It's nowhere near as significant as 1.50.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2023, 08:28:11 am »
I admit I don't follow brewing forums as much as I did 20 years ago, and am constantly amazed by some of the newer methods people are coming up with (I love "shaken not stirred as it fits in with my laziness...brilliant!)

Question:  As I recall the conventional wisdom for using hop bags for hop pellets is to use 50 percent more (or 1.5x what the recipe calls for) to account for the decrease in hop utilization from being in the bag. Is that still the accepted correction factor? And I also have one hop screen cylinders that sit on the edge of the kettle. I'm not sure about those things...the pellets just turn into a sludge and are never part of the main boil.

Seems like I always get my best results from using whole hops, but many varieties are becoming increasingly hard to find in whole hop form....especially continental noble hops.

I've never heard that. 10% is the generally accepted number. But as we showed on the podcast, all that really matters is what it tastes like to you.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2023, 05:55:32 am »
I use hop bags regularly with great success.  I have the Hop Utilization setting in BeerSmith set to 90%.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2023, 08:56:39 am »
I use a hop bag and while I am sure I am losing something, my taste buds are not that sensitive I don't think so I have not tried the 10% or whatever it is rule. 

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2023, 11:14:16 am »
I use a hop bag and while I am sure I am losing something, my taste buds are not that sensitive I don't think so I have not tried the 10% or whatever it is rule.

Numbers don't matter. How the beer tastes does. If you like it, it's good.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2023, 11:44:40 am »
+1. Brew the same batch with and without, do a blind taste test and see if it matters to you.

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2023, 07:06:02 am »
I have never increased the amount of pellet hops when using a hop bag and have never noticed any difference in flavor when brewing with or without a bag.  As Denny said, it's the taste that matters.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline smsnyus

• 1st Kit
  • NY Grown Hops
    • Hop of The Month - Centennial Hops
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2024, 11:31:00 am »
Hop utilization in bags depends on several factors, so the ideal correction factor can vary. Here's a breakdown:

Mesh size: Tighter weaves reduce wort flow and utilization. Looser weaves increase flow but risk hop pellets escaping.
Bag material: Muslin allows better wort penetration than nylon.
Hop form: Whole hops typically have higher utilization than pellets in bags.
Bag filling: Overfilling reduces wort movement and utilization.
Boil intensity: Stronger boils can extract more from the hops.
Steve Schmidt - Grower & Processor of Hops
Schmidt Hop Farm - www.schmidthops.com
NY Grown Hops - www.upstatehops.net

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2024, 08:00:05 pm »
I made a large diameter stainless hop spider. It is pretty deep and I’ve never really noticed much difference. I give it a little stir and works fine. Sure saves a lot of issues for me.
Jeff B