Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brew Year’s Resolutions  (Read 288 times)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Brew Year’s Resolutions
« on: January 02, 2024, 11:04:01 am »
Around this time of year I usually put this out. Each year some review the past and plan for the future.

I categorize my plans into buckets: Fitness, Faith, Foxhole, Finances, and Fun.

I have to consider each bucket when setting goals for the adjacent buckets. For example, I can’t blow the Finances to improve my Foxhole (home improvement projects).

Among other things, my Homebrewing hobby falls under Fun.  Last year I was trying to brew session strength, lower carb beers but drink at a regular rate in an effort to improve my Fitness.  …but with that approach I really wasn’t seeing  the weight loss like I wanted. So, I began brewing smaller batches of regular strength beers because I began drinking only on weekends and special occasions.  The smaller batches would facilitate keeping the batch count up at the lower consumption rate. I have lost ~10 lbs or so since mid Oct by doing this so I will continue drinking a cpl beers a day only on weekends and special occasions into 2024.

I also decided to send beer off to competitions for the first time in 2023 to get an azimuth check on my brewing capability. I had a bit of success by scoring 30+ points in competitions for a few of the session beer recipes I was brewing.  This year I have decided to enter a few more competitions for two reasons: it allows me to continue brewing often by finding ways to give away beer and it gives me a goal of improving scores.

So… my 2024 goals are: continue drinking less while brewing smaller volume batches, finding ways to give away beer so I can keep the batch count up, and improving competition scores.

What about y’all?  Anybody else contemplate 2023 and make plans for 2024?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Brew Year’s Resolutions
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2024, 11:33:24 am »
My goal is to make homebrewing fun again. Many times I'm guilty of taking it too seriously. I hope to do more brewing for me, and less talking about it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2024, 12:15:39 pm »
I really enjoy this hobby because my process is incredibly simple and I intend to keep it that way.  So my resolution is to not get bogged down with fancy processes and equipment and continue brewing with my kettle, bag and spoon (although, if I can find a way to eliminate the spoon, I will.). Because that is what I enjoy.  And the beer too.

Happy New Year to All.

A few years ago I wrote that, and it still holds as my resolution.  No lofty goals.  Just keep it simple and keep it fun.  So far so good, though I'm still using the spoon.

All the best everyone.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2024, 12:38:27 pm by Megary »

Offline tommymorris

Brew Year’s Resolutions
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2024, 12:29:29 pm »
I am doing dry January.

I want to run more ultramarathons and more trail running. I broke my arm a few years ago and have been off the trails since. I just went back and it has been invigorating. Last year I tried a 100K run. I failed. This year i want to complete a 100K (at this point that is still a stretch goal because I need to learn how to do it).

For beer, I have started developing a simple house ale recipe. I am getting to where I just want to brew a few styles; pilsners, pale ales, and a maybe an Amber here and there. I can get anything else commercially.  I might drop the batch size also. But, if I run like I want to above, I can keep up the 2.5 gallon batches.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2024, 02:51:07 pm by tommymorris »

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2024, 09:10:31 pm »
Few goals for this year.

I'm in a position to start building out a bar with a keezer so I need to get that built and start brewing with the ability to have more than one beer on tap.

I also want to go through my long list of beers I've wanted to brew for a long time and actually brew them. Like I have recipes I've meant to brew from 2010 but no idea why I haven't tried them yet.

Really feeling in the mood for Belgian beers these days and want to spend some time dialing in a few this year.

Want to revive my sour blending program this year.

Buy less beer and drink down the beer currently in the house. During the pandemic my wife and I made a big dent in our cellar but it's starting to swell again. Not entirely sure how to balance that with all my other beer goals.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing