Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What Are Your 2024 Homebrewing Resolutions? Here Are Mine...  (Read 2298 times)

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
Re: What Are Your 2024 Homebrewing Resolutions? Here Are Mine...
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2024, 12:48:24 pm »
When I do get back to it I think I'm going to ditch the 5 gallon batch and start making 2.5 gallons at a time.

I'm a big fan of small batches.
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society and the League of Drews.

Offline Semper Sitientem

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2024, 06:20:32 pm »
When I do get back to it I think I'm going to ditch the 5 gallon batch and start making 2.5 gallons at a time.

I'm a big fan of small batches.

+1. Small batch is all I’ve ever brewed. I find it gives me a lot more flexibility in trying different styles and recipes.
Confidunt in cervisia nobis

Scientists believe that the universe is made of hydrogen, because they claim it’s the most plentiful ingredient. I claim that the most plentiful ingredient is stupidity. - Frank Zappa

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2024, 09:24:58 am »
My resolution to attempt a Berliner Weisse.  Have always been a bit apprehensive to try that style, but what the hell.

I also want to deviate from some of the beers (except my Amarillo IPA to avoid a possible assassination attempt from my wife!) I always brew and add a few more things to my repertoire.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline jherzjherz

• Administrator
  • Assistant Brewer
  • Julia Herz
    • American Homebrewers Association
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2024, 11:47:56 am »
My resolution to attempt a Berliner Weisse.  Have always been a bit apprehensive to try that style, but what the hell.

I also want to deviate from some of the beers (except my Amarillo IPA to avoid a possible assassination attempt from my wife!) I always brew and add a few more things to my repertoire.

Goose GO FORTH. Brew a Berliner. I would love to hear how it comes out. Heck you could even enter it into National Homebrew Competition. FYI here are some AHA recipes with many of them being validated and thus trustworthy as medal winners. https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-recipes/?search-refine=berliner. Also for your research as long as you are logged into your account searching past issues of Zymurgy Magazine (go to archive) is always helpful. https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/zymurgy-magazine/.
JULIA HERZ
Executive Director
American Homebrewers Association | Boulder, CO 80302

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2024, 01:18:14 pm »
Motivation. Yes, really. I've got too many kegs of lager left from last year.

After a recent London trip I really want a Best Bitter on tap. One that stoodvout was Harvey's Sussex Best Bitter. All the ingredients are on hand. I need the motivation. A easy peasy 6 gallon batch should get me going.

I want make a dent in all of the lager ingredients puchased. Helles, Pils, Dunkel, and some rustic lagers are on my mind. Oh, and Rauchbier, I love Rauchbiers.

Quick edit.

O2 is something I keep out of my lagers, except for when the yeast iscpitched.

For the ales not so much of a care. Fot the Best Bitter an open fermetation is going to be tried, well, almost open to keep stuff out.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2024, 01:21:26 pm by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline jherzjherz

• Administrator
  • Assistant Brewer
  • Julia Herz
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2024, 04:22:54 pm »
Motivation. Yes, really. I've got too many kegs of lager left from last year.

After a recent London trip I really want a Best Bitter on tap. One that stoodvout was Harvey's Sussex Best Bitter. All the ingredients are on hand. I need the motivation. A easy peasy 6 gallon batch should get me going.

I want make a dent in all of the lager ingredients puchased. Helles, Pils, Dunkel, and some rustic lagers are on my mind. Oh, and Rauchbier, I love Rauchbiers.

Quick edit.

O2 is something I keep out of my lagers, except for when the yeast iscpitched.

For the ales not so much of a care. Fot the Best Bitter an open fermetation is going to be tried, well, almost open to keep stuff out.

hopfenundmalz please, please, please follow through and brew the best bitter. Would LOVE to hear how it turns out and you'll be happier when some is on draft or bottled in your fridge.
JULIA HERZ
Executive Director

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2024, 08:08:13 pm »

Historic or modern?  If modern, you can get a nice sour pretty easily with PhillySour or Sourvisiae. No mussing with bacteria necessary.
The Other Drew

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2024, 12:50:59 am »

Historic or modern?  If modern, you can get a nice sour pretty easily with PhillySour or Sourvisiae. No mussing with bacteria necessary.

Between the acid producing yeast and all the kettle sour techniques out there, there's never been a better time to try brewing this style.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2024, 10:47:20 am »

Modern.  I have a lactobacillis probiotic at home that I bought that was recommended by a fellow brewer who has one many medals with a Berliner.   Might give that a try as a first go at it.  Deciding on whether to kettle sour or mash sour.
I already have a recipe for the beer that I wrote a couple years ago

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2024, 01:48:57 pm »

Modern.  I have a lactobacillis probiotic at home that I bought that was recommended by a fellow brewer who has one many medals with a Berliner.   Might give that a try as a first go at it.  Deciding on whether to kettle sour or mash sour.

A couple decades ago, when Berliner Kindl was available in the US, I made one that won best of show at a medium large competition. I used lactobacillus delbruekii from one of the yeast companies. It took about 6 weeks before forming a pellicle, but what a great beer that was.
I'm not much of a fan of the kettle sours, especially the ones that get the lacto naturally. You get a faster, less authentic beer.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2024, 09:23:38 pm »

A couple decades ago, when Berliner Kindl was available in the US, I made one that won best of show at a medium large competition. I used lactobacillus delbruekii from one of the yeast companies. It took about 6 weeks before forming a pellicle, but what a great beer that was.
I'm not much of a fan of the kettle sours, especially the ones that get the lacto naturally. You get a faster, less authentic beer.

i dont know much about sour beers at all (still more than a lay person), but ron pattinson has written a fair bit including a whole book on berliner weisse. so if you want to aim for any kind of historicity you might check it out or search his website. in short he says the soured ones with brett added (maybe cant remember) and/or intentually added lacto bacteria and given a good period of time were the reason it became a famous style and what he also enjoyed.

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2024, 10:02:00 pm »

i dont know much about sour beers at all (still more than a lay person), but ron pattinson has written a fair bit including a whole book on berliner weisse. so if you want to aim for any kind of historicity you might check it out or search his website. in short he says the soured ones with brett added (maybe cant remember) and/or intentually added lacto bacteria and given a good period of time were the reason it became a famous style and what he also enjoyed.

According to Krennmair, historic Berliner Weisses were unboiled, and “at least in the first half of the 20th century, Berliner Weisse got its slightly sour character from a mixed fermentation of Saccharomyces (brewers yeast), lactic acid bacteria (in particular Lactobacillus brevis), and Brettanomyces” (Krennmair 2018, p. 65).
The Other Drew

Offline BrewnWKopperKat

• Cellarman
« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2024, 08:47:50 am »
So...what are your 2024 homebrewing goals, resolutions, wishes and plans?
Stop caring about the state of home brewing.  Some of my other hobbies are also dead or dying based on similar economic or social metrics. 

(carry over from mid 2023) quietly explore adding 'oxygen' to the list of "brewing elements" (malt, hops, yeast, water). 

Brew with a couple of new (to me) DME / LME products.

Brew on and keep us posted!

Quick (and final) update

• Brew Files #160 - thank you Denny & Drew.
  • BrewTan-B: it helps (Williams has it)
  • OxBlox (MoreBeer has it): used it in a batch that needs to be bottled
  • I bottle condition warm (75F for a week, then a week or so at room temperature) with fresh yeast and AA.  Store cold after carbonation / conditioning is complete.  Bottles carbonate quickly, but some styles benefit from additional conditioning.
  • I added some hot side techniques (YOS, BrewTan-B, ...) to a brown ale - I noticed a difference.
I may post some recipes / brew days over in "what's brewing this weekend?" later this summer.

Offline OttoKringer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2024, 11:37:43 am »
1) Work on my ability to influence attenuation through mash temps. I've been all over the place lately.
2) Try to incorporate some low oxygen techniques including OxBlox and spunding. I'm curious to see if I notice a difference.
3) Brew two styles I haven't tried before, Maibock and Pre-Prohibition lager.

Offline jherzjherz

• Administrator
  • Assistant Brewer
  • Julia Herz
« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2024, 01:01:32 pm »
1) Work on my ability to influence attenuation through mash temps. I've been all over the place lately.
2) Try to incorporate some low oxygen techniques including OxBlox and spunding. I'm curious to see if I notice a difference.
3) Brew two styles I haven't tried before, Maibock and Pre-Prohibition lager.

Got OttoKringer and please report back. Would love to hear about your progress.
JULIA HERZ
Executive Director