Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Soy sauce with beer yeast as koji?  (Read 232 times)

Offline TheGC

• 1st Kit
Soy sauce with beer yeast as koji?
« on: January 05, 2024, 07:58:08 pm »
Yep! Exactly what you've read!
I've read some people talking here and other places about making beer with koji, to see what it makes and all.
But.. what if we go the other way around?
From what I've got, Koji is there just to be a know and safe culture to ferment the soybeans.
So.. what if I make it with beer yeast?

I can get Koji, but it's hard for me since the shipment to my region in Brazil takes really long and because of this is really expensive, so I want to try with some cheaper before trying the real stuff.If you guys think it's possible, how should I try it? Just pour the liquid starter over the steamed and still wet beans??

hahaha I'm laughing here just for thinking about what the result could be

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Soy sauce with beer yeast as koji?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2024, 06:40:22 am »
I was under the impression that Koji was required to convert the starches in the beans into fermentable sugar. I'm not super familiar with soy sauce production, and I'm assuming that there is a way to convert the starches with other means aside from Koji (amylase enzyme, possibly?). I think you still need to find a way to manage the part of the process that koji is traditionally used for. From there, you may be able to ferment with beer yeast, but i don't think that yeast alone is sufficient.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2024, 08:10:55 am »
I was under the impression that Koji was required to convert the starches in the beans into fermentable sugar. I'm not super familiar with soy sauce production, and I'm assuming that there is a way to convert the starches with other means aside from Koji (amylase enzyme, possibly?). I think you still need to find a way to manage the part of the process that koji is traditionally used for. From there, you may be able to ferment with beer yeast, but i don't think that yeast alone is sufficient.

Soy sauce is already fermented I believe
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline TheGC

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2024, 02:04:39 pm »

I guy told me that from what he knows, you are right about the starches. But if I'm doing the soy sauce with east, I would need something to break the starches as Koji does, so he suggested to find some amylase enzymes.

From what I've got, it's possible.
And it will be a fun ride! hahah