Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Electric brewing  (Read 372 times)

Offline BrianM655

• 1st Kit
Electric brewing
« on: January 16, 2024, 06:38:14 pm »
Hey folks-I have in the last few years converted to elect brewing and have so much more control in the mash. Just curious if those who do elect brew vary the mash temps and times for each recipe. Do you keep the same temps and times for all Pale malts, Pilsner malts etc?

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Electric brewing
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2024, 06:25:27 am »
I use RIMS. Most of my recipes are single infusion mash. Occasionally, I’ll use mash steps to focus on enzyme groups.

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
Re: Electric brewing
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2024, 07:52:25 am »
Most of the time I use a single infusion mash schedule. I sometimes to a step mash which is just a matter of adjusting the set temp on your controller.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2024, 08:53:45 am »
I have several Grainfather systems. Mash temperature and schedule is decided partially by recipe, but equally important is what the malt needs. Sometimes it's a step mash, sometimes it's single infusion.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2024, 08:56:38 am »
I find it to be totally malt dependent.  Some heritage malts work best with a step mash (or decoction if desired); most modern malts are fine with a single infusion (typically followed by a mashout step) or batch sparge. YMMV, of course.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2024, 08:58:50 am »
I generally use single infusion mashes, but the mash temperature depends on the recipe, to get the fermentability I want.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2024, 10:31:34 am »
I pretty much use the same mash schedule for every beer, but I also tend to brew the same few recipes over and over with only minor variations.

147/148 - 30 minutes
162/163 - 30 minutes
170 - 10 minutes

Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2024, 11:04:19 am »
I have an Anvil Foundry without a pump. I mash in at 147F, then set the power level to 66% and set my temp to 162F. When the controller reads 162F, I stir my mash (which settles in somewhere in the low/mid 150's once it is mixed) and bump the temp up a few degrees. I keep repeating this process (heat, mix, bump temp) until it gets to about 180F on the contoller (low 170's actual mash temp), then I drain the grain basket. It's essentially a continuous ramp starting from a low beta rest up through mashout over about 70-80 minutes. I haven't noticed a significant difference in body or efficiency compared to my old usual 153F for 1 hour mash schedule, but the grains drain better at the warmer pull temp, and I'm closer to boil temps when my mash is done. This is certainly a "just because I can" methodology, but it works for me and makes good beer.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer