Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Italian Pils  (Read 610 times)

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
Italian Pils
« on: January 17, 2024, 01:03:57 am »
Found this in the Apt Brewer channel and thought it would be kinda cool. Here is the recipe as it was in the video:

5 gallon batch

10lbs Weyermann Barke Pilsner malt
4oz Weyermann Caramunich I

Hops:

1oz Perle FWH
1oz Perle 15mins
1oz Saphir 0 mins
1.5oz Saphir Dry Hop 3 days into fermentation for 5 days

Mash at 152F for 60 min. Then 170F for 15 mins. I am wondering if I can skip the 15 mins at 170 as my propane burner might not like me trying to mess with it after the mash?

Yeast (and this is where I start to have questions)
1 packet of W-34/70 But, when I watch the video he appears to use two packets

Ferment at 68F for 7 days

So, my questions are this: If I am going to order everything from one place, Morebeer, they do not have the Barke Pils, so will another pils malt work? Will it bring a different taste to the party?
The recipe says 1 packet of yeast, but the video shows him putting in two. I don't mind buying a second and since it is a pils, everything I have read indicates two packs.

Any input on the recipe or the process would be most appreciated.

Thanks for looking

Online BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Italian Pils
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2024, 06:18:55 am »
If you don’t use the same ingredients the beer will taste different.  Processes matter as well. That’s why so many commercial breweries will give out their recipes. They have proprietary ingredients and processes they use that are unique. It’s their market distinction.

I, for one, don’t care for Barke Pils (or many other Continental Pils malts). You may like it. Many do and you may as well. My son said, “Oh, I’ve had beer that tastes like this before.”  He didn’t say if he liked it or not — just that he noticed the flavor. To me, there is a distinct grassy, or hay-like flavor that I can live without.  There are many more base malt flavors I do like so I go with them. That’s just me.

The only way to know is to brew it as-is, then make substitutions to see if it gets better or worse.

I recommend using a mfr yeast pitch calculator to determine the qty of their product to use to get expected results.

BTW, Italian Pils is a German Pils w/dry hop. The result is pretty darn tasty. The BJCP recommends entering it as a ‘mixed style’ (kind of a catch all bucket of mutt beers that don’t fit well into other categories).
« Last Edit: January 17, 2024, 06:22:31 am by BrewBama »

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Italian Pils
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2024, 06:20:05 am »
My opinion --->

Don't worry about the 15 minutes at 170°.

Another Pils will work just fine.

Not sure what your OG is exactly (1.055ish??), but 2 packs of yeast seems to be standard operating procedure for a 5-gallon lager.

Better answers to follow.  Good luck!  That recipe looks tasty.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2024, 06:29:39 am »
For mash out (the 15 minutes at 170) here is what I do.

I do full volume BIAB. At 60 minutes (or whenever the main mash rest is complete) I turn on the heat and I just leave the bag in the wort until the temp hits 170F. I raise the bag to drain as soon as it hits 170F.  I stir a bit when I turn the heat on and then let the mash settle while it heats to 170.

I don’t know if that is necessary, but it doesn’t seem to hurt and anecdotally I get more consistent efficiency when I do.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2024, 08:57:20 am »
Mashout is pretty much unnecessary for homebrewers. Commercial brewers do it because UT can take hours to sparge and later and they want to set fermentability before they do. For us, the process is much faster, so we don't need to do a mashout.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2024, 09:01:09 am »
To be consistent with the Tipopils type Italian Pilsner, you should use Eraclea malt.  I have had luck with any pils malt, though (the style is hop driven, of course).
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2024, 11:05:54 am »
Mashout is pretty much unnecessary for homebrewers. Commercial brewers do it because UT can take hours to sparge and later and they want to set fermentability before they do. For us, the process is much faster, so we don't need to do a mashout.
I read something that suggested the mash out rest is good for head retention, but I don’t know exactly why.  It was from a lodo post.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2024, 11:28:32 am »
I read something that suggested the mash out rest is good for head retention, but I don’t know exactly why.  It was from a lodo post.

But then it's not really a mashout.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2024, 02:19:15 pm »

Honest question because I haven't used Caramunich: is 2½% Caramunich going to make a detectable difference in the final product? If so, what does it contribute?
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society and the League of Drews.

Offline saaz amore

• Cellarman
  • When your beer has a smell like a Pilsner Urquell
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2024, 05:56:00 pm »

Honest question because I haven't used Caramunich: is 2½% Caramunich going to make a detectable difference in the final product? If so, what does it contribute?

The Caramunich is probably just there for color. I'd imagine you could substitute something as dark or darker. Just use brewing software to calculate the color.