Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Limincello beer  (Read 305 times)

Online redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
Limincello beer
« on: January 28, 2024, 01:13:59 pm »
My buddy gave me a bottle of homemade Limoncello for Xmas.  I was thinking of doing a beer with it and giving to him.  Has anybody tried such a thing?  If so, what was the outcome and what kinda recipe did you use?  I found a few on Youtube that looked somewhat interesting, but thought I would pick your collective brains to see what you thought.   Any input is welcomed.  Thanks in advance 

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Limincello beer
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2024, 01:14:11 pm »
The best way to approach a new recipe is to first envision the outcome. "Taste" it in your mind. So what do you want from a limincello beer? What would it taste like?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2024, 07:12:11 am »
Limoncello has a fair amount of sugar, but the beer yeast will ferment that. It's really just going to be that lemon zest flavor that you'll be adding for the most part, and none of the sweetness. There are quite a few styles that would work well with that kind of straightforward citrus note. The ones that come to mind for me are Pale Ale/IPA, American Wheat or Blonde Ale, Witbier, and Saison.

Which style to choose depends on your preference, really. When I want to accentuate an ingredient, I tend to brew a "milder" version of whatever style I'm going for. For an IPA, I'd use less late/dry hops to let the limoncello fill that role. In a Wit, I'd use just a touch of coriander and ferment a couple of degrees cooler to keep a lower level of yeast expression. Or I'd choose a style like American Wheat where the base beer is pretty straightforward and will get out of the way of the ingredient you're adding.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Online redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2024, 09:05:39 am »
Awesome.  Thanks guys.  I am not sure what I am going to do yet.  I was thinking a wheat like beer would be best.  I will do a bit of looking around and see.  Just looking to try and enhance the already flavor of the beer, not overpower it with just an alcohol taste if that makes sense.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2024, 09:19:52 am »
Awesome.  Thanks guys.  I am not sure what I am going to do yet.  I was thinking a wheat like beer would be best.  I will do a bit of looking around and see.  Just looking to try and enhance the already flavor of the beer, not overpower it with just an alcohol taste if that makes sense.

Add the limincello to a glass of beer

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Online redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2024, 03:55:46 pm »

LOL.  I was thinking about that.  But that is no fun.  But, you are right, probably easier that way.  Thought it would be a cool gift for my buddy who gave me the bottle for Xmas. 

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2024, 04:08:06 pm »

LOL.  I was thinking about that.  But that is no fun.  But, you are right, probably easier that way.  Thought it would be a cool gift for my buddy who gave me the bottle for Xmas.

Easier, more accurate, more flavor.

www.dennybrew.com