Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: CAP or pre prohibition lager recipe help  (Read 428 times)

Offline MDL

• Assistant Brewer
CAP or pre prohibition lager recipe help
« on: January 31, 2024, 02:59:40 pm »
Greetings. I have some malted white corn to use up and was thinking of a preprohibition lager of sorts. Something like 20% malted corn with pils and 6 row making up the balance. Maybe a little redX malt I have on hand. I like what it does to lagers in small amounts.

I have clusters was thinking of adding at 50 min and 20 minutes. I have saaz to finish it and was thinking at or near whirlpool. I’m not sure how much saaz to use maybe a couple ounces per 5 gallon batch?

I have Diamond lager yeast to use on it.

Any input on the recipe overall would be appreciated!

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
Re: CAP or pre prohibition lager recipe help
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2024, 04:03:41 pm »
Greetings. I have some malted white corn to use up and was thinking of a preprohibition lager of sorts. Something like 20% malted corn with pils and 6 row making up the balance. Maybe a little redX malt I have on hand. I like what it does to lagers in small amounts.

I have clusters was thinking of adding at 50 min and 20 minutes. I have saaz to finish it and was thinking at or near whirlpool. I’m not sure how much saaz to use maybe a couple ounces per 5 gallon batch?

Sounds spot on to me. I just made one very similar. 20% flaked corn, 80% pils malt, bittered with Clusters, finished with Perle, Diamond Lager yeast.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2024, 09:58:51 am »
Malted corn or flaked maize - a distinct choice.  I have heard that malted corn has a very expressive flavor profile, so give it a shot and maybe reduce that 20% down a bit next time, if need be?  But if you like the way it turns out - then Cheers!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2024, 10:44:48 am »
Malted corn or flaked maize - a distinct choice.  I have heard that malted corn has a very expressive flavor profile, so give it a shot and maybe reduce that 20% down a bit next time, if need be?  But if you like the way it turns out - then Cheers!

I would agree with that. The malted corn I've had is a very different, distinct flavor, which I don't feel is appropriate in places where you'd use flaked.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2024, 11:42:16 am »
There are now quite a few different "Corn Malts" on the market and they aren't all going to provide the same flavor/aroma/experience.

Just a thought: Take a few ounces of your Corn Malt and mini-mash it for 45 minutes or so at 150°.  Then take a good sniff, take a sip, swish it around a bit, and take note of the color.  That should give you a good idea of what the malt will bring to the table.

I did this with a craft Blue Corn Malt. I crushed 2oz in a hops sack, placed in a coffee cup, added the water and set in the oven for an hour.  I got a distinct aroma of freshly husked corn and a taste of corn-on-the-cob sweetness.  And the "wort" produced was distinctly purplish.   :o   (Obviously, if you are using White Corn Malt, the color won't be an issue.)

I ended up using this malt in a lager, but I decided to roast it in the oven first.  The roasted malt had little to no corn sweetness and aroma.  Rather, it was tea-like and it did have a nuttiness with a nice biscuit/cracker depth.  And roasting eliminated the purple color.  The resulting beer (84% Pils/16% Roasted Corn Malt) was a delight and one I will be making again in a week or two.  I plan on upping the % of roasted corn malt to 24%

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2024, 12:17:08 pm »
There are now quite a few different "Corn Malts" on the market and they aren't all going to provide the same flavor/aroma/experience.

Just a thought: Take a few ounces of your Corn Malt and mini-mash it for 45 minutes or so at 150°.  Then take a good sniff, take a sip, swish it around a bit, and take note of the color.  That should give you a good idea of what the malt will bring to the table.

I did this with a craft Blue Corn Malt. I crushed 2oz in a hops sack, placed in a coffee cup, added the water and set in the oven for an hour.  I got a distinct aroma of freshly husked corn and a taste of corn-on-the-cob sweetness.  And the "wort" produced was distinctly purplish.   :o   (Obviously, if you are using White Corn Malt, the color won't be an issue.)

I ended up using this malt in a lager, but I decided to roast it in the oven first.  The roasted malt had little to no corn sweetness and aroma.  Rather, it was tea-like and it did have a nuttiness with a nice biscuit/cracker depth.  And roasting eliminated the purple color.  The resulting beer (84% Pils/16% Roasted Corn Malt) was a delight and one I will be making again in a week or two.  I plan on upping the % of roasted corn malt to 24%

What I was getting at was that any malted corn will taste different than flaked.  Kinda like how any wheat malt tastes different than flaked wheat.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2024, 12:25:42 pm »

What I was getting at was that any malted corn will taste different than flaked.  Kinda like how any wheat malt tastes different than flaked wheat.

Wasn't commenting on that at all.  That's clear enough. 
Just pointing out that many maltsters are making "Corn Malt" and they aren't all the same, in fact they can be very different.  That's probably clear enough as well.  Cheers.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2024, 03:47:36 pm »

that reminded me of:

https://www.ohhowcivilized.com/corn-tea/

this would approximate that flavour im sure. personally i dont like it, i dont like most corn products.

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2024, 04:30:11 pm »

that reminded me of:

this would approximate that flavour im sure. personally i dont like it, i dont like most corn products.

The roasted corn malt didn’t really have much, if any, “corn” notes.  It was way closer to 2-row than it was to unroasted corn malt.  The roasted corn beer ended up nice and light but with a bit of depth that you just can’t get from an all Pils beer.  Could I have just simply added a bit of Munich instead of going through the trouble of roasting the corn malt?  Maybe.  But where’s the DIY adventure in that?   :)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2024, 08:36:18 am »

that reminded me of:

The roasted corn malt didn’t really have much, if any, “corn” notes.  It was way closer to 2-row than it was to unroasted corn malt.  The roasted corn beer ended up nice and light but with a bit of depth that you just can’t get from an all Pils beer.  Could I have just simply added a bit of Munich instead of going through the trouble of roasting the corn malt?  Maybe.  But where’s the DIY adventure in that?   :)
That makes sense. The Bloody Butcher corn malt I've used tasted way closer to Vienna malt than corn to me. I'm guessing that for malted grains the kilning process is a huge part of their flavor development.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2024, 08:42:40 am »

that reminded me of:

That makes sense. The Bloody Butcher corn malt I've used tasted way closer to Vienna malt than corn to me. I'm guessing that for malted grains the kilning process is a huge part of their flavor development.

As is the malting process.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2024, 09:33:52 am »

that reminded me of:

Just to clarify:

Deer Creek's Blue Corn Malt was very much "corn-like".  A mini-mash of this malt had the unmistakable aroma and sweet flavor of corn.

It was only when I oven roasted this malt that the corn flavor was reduced to near zero and biscuit/cracker/nutty flavors developed.

It would be very interesting to compare two 80% Pils beers, one with 20% Blue Corn Malt and one with 20% roasted Blue Corn Malt.  I would be curious to see if the sweet corn flavor from the un-roasted malt would survive the mash and fermentation.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2024, 12:57:51 pm »

Bow and Arrow Brewing in ABQ makes a delightful Pre Pro Pils named Denim Tux made with Blue Corn grits. The blue color doesn't carry over into the beer. Just saying.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2024, 01:04:00 pm »

I use Cluster at 60 and 30 minutes, and old world hop for finishing at 5 to 10 minutes. Target your IBUs, calculate how many ounces of finishing hops you need so it results in your target value.

Never used malted corn, so no advice on that.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!