Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bad hops  (Read 583 times)

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
Bad hops
« on: February 04, 2024, 08:42:44 am »
On Friday I opened up one of the hop packs from a grab bag I got at the homebrew club Christmas party. It smelled like vomit. After I subbed out some good hops I opened up the other 20 packs and all but four of them had the same smell. The four had no smell at all, good or bad. I tossed the lot into the trash.
I'm not all that upset about it as they were free, but I won't ever buy anything from a hop supplier who thinks it's a good idea to give away s***e to someone who might be a paying customer some day.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
Re: Bad hops
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2024, 08:54:24 am »
Did a homebrew store donate these to the Christmas party or did a club member include them in the grab bag?
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2024, 09:24:04 am »
Did a homebrew store donate these to the Christmas party or did a club member include them in the grab bag?

Yeah. I've found that a reputable supplier will give you good stuff for prizes because their reputation depends on quality. Bot a store or person may just want to get rid of stuff they have laying around.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2024, 09:58:08 am »
On Friday I opened up one of the hop packs from a grab bag I got at the homebrew club Christmas party. It smelled like vomit. After I subbed out some good hops I opened up the other 20 packs and all but four of them had the same smell. The four had no smell at all, good or bad. I tossed the lot into the trash.
I'm not all that upset about it as they were free, but I won't ever buy anything from a hop supplier who thinks it's a good idea to give away s***e to someone who might be a paying customer some day.

were they fuggles?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2024, 12:12:55 pm »

were they fuggles?

A possibility!  ;)

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2024, 07:26:31 pm »
Were they sealed by the manufacturer or repackaged?
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society and the League of Drews.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2024, 06:53:00 am »
The packaging had the name of the hop supplier so I think it came from them.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2024, 06:54:35 am »

were they fuggles?
No. The very worst were cashmere.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2024, 08:37:05 am »
It turns out that the hops did not come from the supplier listed on the packages: Michigan hop allience. They don't deal in sizes smaller than a pound and don't give away samples.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2024, 08:41:15 am »
It turns out that the hops did not come from the supplier listed on the packages: Michigan hop allience. They don't deal in sizes smaller than a pound and don't give away samples.
👍👍 to Michigan hop allience.
 Even though they didn't supply the samples and I didn't actually purchase anything from them they provided me with some fresh cashmere hops on the house. They smelled fantastic and I plan to use them in an IPA early next month.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2024, 09:09:59 am »
 Even though they didn't supply the samples and I didn't actually purchase anything from them they provided me with some fresh cashmere hops on the house. They smelled fantastic and I plan to use them in an IPA early next month.

Brian not only has great hops, he's a great guy.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2024, 02:02:22 pm »

Brian not only has great hops, he's a great guy.

I can confirm he is a great guy. I love the Michigan hops he grows.

I have to tell y'all that he donated Michigan Chinook to my local brewery for an event the wife and I do for Pints for Prostates. The hops were so fresh and aromatic. The 10 bbl batch sold out in 8 weeks, and so many people said it was excellent.

If you don't know, I'm  a Prostate Cancer Survivor. My blood PSA is undetectable after 3 years. Hoping for more years.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2024, 09:20:19 am »
11 days ago I brewed a smash IPA with the cashmere to 60 IBUs. 1.060 with Crisp #19 maris otter. Fermented with nottingham.
Final gravity reading was 1.014. It tastes awesome and I dry hopped with one oz, in three gallons.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women