Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: CO2 Volumes for Imperial Stout?  (Read 419 times)

Offline Clint Yeastwood

• Assistant Brewer
CO2 Volumes for Imperial Stout?
« on: February 05, 2024, 07:25:33 pm »
I am going to keg my first imperial stout. I will keep it at 38 because it won't have its own keezer and will have to accept what other beers deal with. I'm putting it on CO2. I have beer gas, but it feels wrong for imperial stout.

Any suggestions for CO2 volumes? I like Old Rasputin's level of fizz a lot.
Go ahead. Make my IPA.

Eccentricity is its own reward.

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: CO2 Volumes for Imperial Stout?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2024, 07:54:09 pm »
The style guide says 2.2 - 2.8 volumes. I like 2.6 for mine.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2024, 09:07:28 am »
I use 2.5 volumes for all of my ales, including my stouts.  For beers like a Saison I go to 3 volumes because they need to be more effervescent.
 At 38 degrees, 17 PSI for a week should do the trick for your stout but consult a carbonation chart if you are in doubt.  FYI, I hit mine with 30 PSI at 35 degrees for about 24 hours and can drink it the next day.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2024, 10:17:46 am »
I use 2.5 volumes for all of my ales, including my stouts.

Same here goose. I don't have the ability to set different PSI for each keg so I settle on one setting for nearly everything.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline HEUBrewer

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2024, 06:09:07 pm »
So I understand you can serve at only 1 temp but why not increase it and let the chips fall where they may for your other beer?   All the work and expense you are going through for a highly flavorful beer just to kill it at such a cold temp.  Just a thought

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2024, 06:45:01 am »
The colder temperature allows the beer to absorb CO2 faster as the gas dissolves more easily in colder liquids.  I serve my beers in the 40 degree range after carbonating at around 35 degrees with no ill effects on the beer.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: February 09, 2024, 07:38:10 am by goose »
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline John M

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2024, 08:41:57 am »
So I understand you can serve at only 1 temp but why not increase it and let the chips fall where they may for your other beer?   All the work and expense you are going through for a highly flavorful beer just to kill it at such a cold temp.  Just a thought

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Amen brother. I serve mine at 45F, which is about a cold as I like any of my beers. I prefer my stouts around 55F, but they get there quick from 44 if I let them sit for a few minutes.
Don't judge a beer by it's cover.

BJCP "Recognized" - Aspiring to Certified
Ohio Valley Homebrewers Association
Favorite Styles- German Lagers & Ales, Belgians of all kinds, Adjunct Stouts, SHV Beers, Barleywines/Old Ales

Offline Clint Yeastwood

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2024, 01:21:13 pm »
I don't drink a ton of beer at a sitting, so a glass lasts me a while. No matter how cold it is when I pour it, most of it will warm up considerably before going down the hatch. I would rather have it go in the glass too cold than have it warm up too much before I drink it.

A three-beer night is a binge for me.
Go ahead. Make my IPA.

Eccentricity is its own reward.

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2024, 07:20:09 am »
I use 2.5 volumes for all of my ales, including my stouts.

Same here goose. I don't have the ability to set different PSI for each keg so I settle on one setting for nearly everything.

I do not have the ability to set different serving pressures for different beers either, Kevin.  However I have found that the beers that are carbonated at 3 volumes or so do not seem to lose much effervescence when I serve them at 8-10 PSI.  They are still well carbonated when served at that pressure throughout the entire keg. 
The rule of thumb and the laws of physics say that if you serve beer at a lower pressure the carbonation will drop out of the beer to equalize it with its surroundings.  But to my palate, they remain well carbonated and effervescent while the other beers seem to maintain the proper carbonation at 2.5 volumes of CO2.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified