Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cans in the wort?  (Read 811 times)

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Cans in the wort?
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2024, 03:20:28 pm »

My club uses Discord. I hate it. Seems like a platform for 12 year olds.

Frankly, I think the forum is the last thing the AHA is thinking about these days.

I like it, but I use it purely like an internet old-school chatting program ie. ICQ or MSN messenger. Any kind of IRL based discord uses seem to require you to """verify""" your """""identity"""" which i loathe (i just like the free and easy anonymous internet of yesteryear). i just dont do it at all since i like to be relatively anonymous and definitely dont want to put my real name and info online. thats why i dont have the problem with phone and email spam so many people i know do.

Offline nvshooter2276

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2024, 02:39:32 pm »

Any kind of IRL based discord uses seem to require you to """verify""" your """""identity"""" which i loathe.
I hate that kind of sewage solids, too. Whenever I want to look at my email, I must suffer through receiving a text message and then entering the six digits of that message into a block, then clicking to verify that it's me wanting to get into my emails. The internet is a wonderful thing. What isn't so wonderful about it is that there are those who would use it for evil and criminality...

But back to one of my questions from the original post: Would 4.5 total gallons of LME and water to be boiled have too much LME in it such that scorching might obtain? The LME looks to be about 3/4-gallon; weighs 8.9 pounds. The water would be 4.5 - .75 = 3.75 gallons x 8.3507 pounds per gallon, for a water weight of 31.3 pounds. So, we have 8.9 divided by 31.3 = the LME is 28% of the total mass being boiled. I'd think there wouldn't be too much of a possibility for scorching but sugar likes to burn if too much heat is applied, so I may very well be entirely wrong about the 28 percent thing. What does y'all think?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2024, 02:57:13 pm by nvshooter2276 »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2024, 03:53:59 pm »

Any kind of IRL based discord uses seem to require you to """verify""" your """""identity"""" which i loathe.
I hate that kind of sewage solids, too. Whenever I want to look at my email, I must suffer through receiving a text message and then entering the six digits of that message into a block, then clicking to verify that it's me wanting to get into my emails. The internet is a wonderful thing. What isn't so wonderful about it is that there are those who would use it for evil and criminality...

But back to one of my questions from the original post: Would 4.5 total gallons of LME and water to be boiled have too much LME in it such that scorching might obtain? The LME looks to be about 3/4-gallon; weighs 8.9 pounds. The water would be 4.5 - .75 = 3.75 gallons x 8.3507 pounds per gallon, for a water weight of 31.3 pounds. So, we have 8.9 divided by 31.3 = the LME is 28% of the total mass being boiled. I'd think there wouldn't be too much of a possibility for scorching but sugar likes to burn if too much heat is applied, so I may very well be entirely wrong about the 28 percent thing. What does y'all think?

Don't think there's any problem. Take the pot off the heat, dissolve the LME, put it back on heat.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2024, 06:47:43 am »
I've been in breweries that use cans of hop extract for bittering. They remove the lid and the can goes in the boil.

I know the question was about malt extract, but I thought  a can in the boil would be a reference.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline nvshooter2276

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2024, 06:33:14 pm »
I've been in breweries that use cans of hop extract for bittering. They remove the lid and the can goes in the boil.

I know the question was about malt extract, but I thought a can in the boil would be a reference.
I'll guess those cans do not have a paper labeled affixed with great gobs of sticky, gummy adhesive. I'll do something when comes the time. I've got an obstacle regarding my automobile to overcome, as of today. The punishment never ends...

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2024, 06:40:14 pm »

I know the question was about malt extract, but I thought a can in the boil would be a reference.
I'll guess those cans do not have a paper labeled affixed with great gobs of sticky, gummy adhesive. I'll do something when comes the time. I've got an obstacle regarding my automobile to overcome, as of today. The punishment never ends...

i know people already said, but imho i feel i can even notice beers where i have let beerstone develop on my kettle for a few batches without an alkaline brewers wash cleanoff (soap+scrubbing doesnt bring it off i find). so i wouldnt really add anything that i dont think would be guaranteed neutral or an improvement to my beer. life is absolutely too short for bad beer, especially when you are spending hours at a time making it. if i wanted bad/mediocre beer i'd just buy it from the store.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2024, 06:57:31 pm »

No labels or adhesive at the time.

Ladle the hot wort into the can, pour out, repeat. That is what I did 30 years ago.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2024, 06:59:51 pm »

i know people already said, but imho i feel i can even notice beers where i have let beerstone develop on my kettle for a few batches without an alkaline brewers wash cleanoff (soap+scrubbing doesnt bring it off i find). so i wouldnt really add anything that i dont think would be guaranteed neutral or an improvement to my beer. life is absolutely too short for bad beer, especially when you are spending hours at a time making it. if i wanted bad/mediocre beer i'd just buy it from the store.

PBW or Alkaline Brewers wash remove organics. Acid is used to remove beerstone.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild