Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How long can yeast sit in my Fermenter before I pitch new wort  (Read 805 times)

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
How long can yeast sit in my Fermenter before I pitch new wort
« on: February 16, 2024, 11:50:49 am »
OK, for those of you who have been following my reusing my yeast thread, I have thought about a change of plans. I might bottle today and leave the yeast in the bucket until tomorrow when I brew my new batch. Or, I can split the yeast up into smaller jars today and leave it on the counter or in the fridge use half and keep half in the fridge for future use. I guess my question is, can I leave the yeast in the fermenter bucket for the day and pitch the new beer on it tomorrow? Or is it better to fridge the yeast in mason jars and take one out in the morning before I pitch it?  I have done a bit of reading and I think it will be ok, but just thought I'd ask. I am still getting my stuff together and can bottle later today if the yeast will stay good. Any input is welcomed and appreciated.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: How long can yeast sit in my Fermenter before I pitch new wort
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2024, 01:04:37 pm »
Many beers have been brewed by pitching onto an existing yeast cake. However, it’s probably an over pitch unless the second beer has a very high gravity. Even then it’s probably still an over pitch. …but it’s been done many times.

One day, you’ll wake up and there won’t be anymore time to do the things you’ve always wanted to do. Don’t wait. Do it now.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2024, 01:31:10 pm »
OK, for those of you who have been following my reusing my yeast thread, I have thought about a change of plans. I might bottle today and leave the yeast in the bucket until tomorrow when I brew my new batch. Or, I can split the yeast up into smaller jars today and leave it on the counter or in the fridge use half and keep half in the fridge for future use. I guess my question is, can I leave the yeast in the fermenter bucket for the day and pitch the new beer on it tomorrow? Or is it better to fridge the yeast in mason jars and take one out in the morning before I pitch it?  I have done a bit of reading and I think it will be ok, but just thought I'd ask. I am still getting my stuff together and can bottle later today if the yeast will stay good. Any input is welcomed and appreciated.

Yes, you can do that. Just make sure of sanitation and keep the fermenter tightly sealed. Like Brewbama says, using 1/3-1/2 might be better, but don't sweat it. Do what seems right and is easy.  Malted barley wants to become beer.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2024, 01:32:54 pm »
Many beers have been brewed by pitching onto an existing yeast cake. However, it’s probably an over pitch unless the second beer has a very high gravity. Even then it’s probably still an over pitch. …but it’s been done many times.

One day, you’ll wake up and there won’t be anymore time to do the things you’ve always wanted to do. Don’t wait. Do it now.

Sorry for being so dense, but you are saying to put the yeast in the jar today and then do the repitch of about half tomorrow when I brew?  The whole premise of all of this is that brewing usually takes me the whole day, so bottling and brewing might not be feasible.  My thought is, bottle today and then brew tomorrow.  But, I don't want to ruin the yeast if it stays in the bucket overnight while I brew tomorrow if that makes sense. 

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2024, 01:35:36 pm »

Awesome, thank you.  So, my thought of bottling today and leaving it in the bucket overnight is ok and then put about half of the yeast in a jar to keep for later.  My other thought was, put it all in the jar and fridge for tonight.  It would make it easier to measure if it is in a jar vs in the bucket.  What do you think of that method? 
Yes, you can do that. Just make sure of sanitation and keep the fermenter tightly sealed. Like Brewbama says, using 1/3-1/2 might be better, but don't sweat it. Do what seems right and is easy.  Malted barley wants to become beer.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2024, 02:19:16 pm »

Awesome, thank you.  So, my thought of bottling today and leaving it in the bucket overnight is ok and then put about half of the yeast in a jar to keep for later.  My other thought was, put it all in the jar and fridge for tonight.  It would make it easier to measure if it is in a jar vs in the bucket.  What do you think of that method? 

Sure. If that makes it easier, that's the way to go. Just keep it covered with a little beer from the fermenter.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2024, 11:05:28 pm »
I mean, my first choice woild be to split the slurry into 2-3 jars, clean the fermenter, and use one jar for your next brew (saving the other(s) for later. But the other way is not the worst yeast management, frankly.

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2024, 08:06:27 am »
Something that I'm thinking of looking into is freezing yeast after watching a recent Brulosophy video. It looks like it wouldn't take much to save enough so that you would (almost) never need to buy yeast again.
https://youtu.be/uxnUrDIqN5g
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2024, 08:29:15 am »
Something that I'm thinking of looking into is freezing yeast after watching a recent Brulosophy video. It looks like it wouldn't take much to save enough so that you would (almost) never need to buy yeast again.

Did that for years. Eventually decided it was enough hassle that I'd buy yeast instead.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2024, 09:46:10 am »
OK, update.  I ended up with multiple jars and still had to dump some   LOL.  I have a 16oz jar filled with liquid and about half of it is the cake I believe.  I am getting cold feet though as I had to just pour it into the jar from the bucket, thus introducing O2.  Also, the beer it came from, while I was bottling it, I took a small glass full and it didn't taste as good as I had hoped.  I don't want to do all this work and have the yeast cause the new beer to not be as good, if that makes sense.  My thought it, maybe I should bag this and try doing to overbuild of a started in the future so I have nothing but clean yeast and clean wort.  What are your thoughts folks? 

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2024, 10:50:36 am »

Did that for years. Eventually decided it was enough hassle that I'd buy yeast instead.

im planning future brews around as much dry yeast as possible. im getting really good results with some of them, especially now that im using the lallemand yeast calculator webpage (yes i know i dont shutup about it). used 3 packs on a high gravity stout and its only 3 weeks out since bottling but i can tell it will end up going very well over the next year. that ability to pitch a large amount of yeast WITHOUT aeration should make fermenting beers over 1.075 a really strong candidate for dry yeast usage.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2024, 11:20:59 am »
OK, update.  I ended up with multiple jars and still had to dump some   LOL.  I have a 16oz jar filled with liquid and about half of it is the cake I believe.  I am getting cold feet though as I had to just pour it into the jar from the bucket, thus introducing O2.  Also, the beer it came from, while I was bottling it, I took a small glass full and it didn't taste as good as I had hoped.  I don't want to do all this work and have the yeast cause the new beer to not be as good, if that makes sense.  My thought it, maybe I should bag this and try doing to overbuild of a started in the future so I have nothing but clean yeast and clean wort.  What are your thoughts folks?

You are worrying about nothing. I always just pour the slurry. Done it hundreds of times. Not all O2 is bad. Learn...go for it.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2024, 03:49:02 pm »
Funny thing, I just tasted the beer on top of the cake in the jar and it does not have that bitter aftertaste the beer had when I bottled it.  I am going to give it a go, no risk no reward, right?  LOL

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2024, 04:43:50 pm »
Yeah, beware of judging beer by the samples you take at packaging time. The beer may taste quite different when carbonated. Also, the sample I taste is at the end of the transfer when there is a bit of yeast that gets in which causes nasty bitterness on the back of the tongue. That is completely gone in the finished beer.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2024, 05:57:41 pm »
The yeast will consume the O2.