Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Yeast for a 10% beer?  (Read 308 times)

Offline Joe_Beer

• Brewer
Yeast for a 10% beer?
« on: March 05, 2024, 12:56:38 pm »
I have a double IPA recipe that comes out to 10%. I've not brewed a double IPA before so not sure what I want to do for the yeast. I like WY1450 in Rye Smile but 10% is the upper tolerance and not sure show close you can nudge up to that limit before running into problems.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Yeast for a 10% beer?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2024, 01:00:56 pm »
I have a double IPA recipe that comes out to 10%. I've not brewed a double IPA before so not sure what I want to do for the yeast. I like WY1450 in Rye Smile but 10% is the upper tolerance and not sure show close you can nudge up to that limit before running into problems.

Yeast tolerance ratings, like attenuation ratings, are only an approximate guess, not a hard limit. I've used 1450 on a 12+% BW. Just make a starter or a lower gravity batch and use the slurry from it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Joe_Beer

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2024, 03:09:27 pm »
Good to know, thanks Denny!

Offline Semper Sitientem

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2024, 04:07:13 pm »
I’ve only made one DNEIPA and used Verdant with no starter. Turned out good. Recently brewed a barley wine with Nottingham, again with no starter, and turned out great.
Confidunt in cervisia nobis

Scientists believe that the universe is made of hydrogen, because they claim it’s the most plentiful ingredient. I claim that the most plentiful ingredient is stupidity. - Frank Zappa

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2024, 05:50:19 pm »

Bry97 x 2 or 3 packs depending on what this calculator says.

https://www.lallemandbrewing.com/en/united-states/pitching-rate-calculator/

Im always using dry yeast now for big beers, no need to use pure O2 or to worry about building up a huge slurry.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2024, 08:58:34 am »

Im always using dry yeast now for big beers, no need to use pure O2 or to worry about building up a huge slurry.

Depends on the result he wants. 97 will produce different results than 1450.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2024, 09:42:45 am »

Depends on the result he wants. 97 will produce different results than 1450.

yes, i think i just hit quote reply kind of in regard to easily hitting a 10% abv one or over.

im still waiting to try 1450, since the online store here that has wyeast strains, i have not ordered from yet due to travel time n price. i know its a well liked choice.

Offline Joe_Beer

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2024, 05:09:04 pm »
I’ve only made one DNEIPA and used Verdant with no starter. Turned out good. Recently brewed a barley wine with Nottingham, again with no starter, and turned out great.

Yeah, I guess I've had a few beers run into yeast issues. So I pretty much always make a starter now. One was a pilsner that sat for 5 days after pitching wyeast 2124 and it never took off. Finally made a starter and pitched it the next day for the win. That actually ended up a pretty good beer after all that horsing around though.