Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Double IPA questions  (Read 520 times)

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Double IPA questions
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2024, 09:05:09 am »
Double IPAs finish at a higher gravity than IPAs because they have a higher original gravity. I myself like to add a little sugar to DIPAs so they don't finish too sweet. I wouldn't worry too much about your terminal gravity being too low, especially if you don't add any sugar.

As far as your hop question, I found Ahtanum to be somewhat underwhelming when it first came out. Amarillo would be a decent substitute, personally I would use a mix of Centennial and Amarillo for flavor and aroma additions. As far as Millennium, that's a bittering hop. I would probably use Warrior as a substitute. Magnum would be another good choice. Your suggestion of Nugget would work, but you probably would have to double the quantities.

This is super helpful. Thanks,
I thought yeast strains were developed to always hit the same FG (not repitch), do they instead work within a range of points or something?

On doubling the quantitues, my nugget hops have a 14.8% AA and the Millenium data I found lists 14.5 - 16.5 so isn't that pretty close enough?

A yeast strain may list an attenuation %, but that's not FG. And even attenuation % can vary depending on the wort. That's why you want to use sugar in a DIPA.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2024, 09:06:19 am »
Sugar is definitely needed for DIPA to distinguish from BW

Hmm.. Any rule of thumb as far as percentage of sugar to grist?

At least 5. I usually go 10. I've started using 5% in all my "regular" IPA.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Joe_Beer

• Brewer
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2024, 04:37:44 pm »

Perfect! Thanks again.

Offline Joe_Beer

• Brewer
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2024, 04:42:01 pm »

Do you scale back the grist accordingly then so your ABV isn't off the hook?  I'm kind of adding the sucrose to Brewfater after I've already scaled the recipe down.

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2024, 08:46:18 am »

Do you scale back the grist accordingly then so your ABV isn't off the hook?  I'm kind of adding the sucrose to Brewfater after I've already scaled the recipe down.

Yes, you can scale the malt bill back a bit but try to make the IBU's to OG numbers match somewhat closely so that you keep the beer relatively balanced.  I use Beer Smith and there is a graph of gravity numbers to IBU number and I keep the arrows on the graph close and also shoot for the middle of the style guidelines range of both.  But, it's your beer, make it they way that works for you.

I assume you are adding the sugar to the kettle, just to verify.  I also use dextrose (corn sugar) instead of sucrose in the kettle.  The only time I use sucrose is when I make a Tripel, but you can do what works for you and what you have on hand.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2024, 08:56:52 am »

Yeah, I do.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Joe_Beer

• Brewer
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2024, 09:46:01 am »
Yes, you can scale the malt bill back a bit but try to make the IBU's to OG numbers match somewhat closely so that you keep the beer relatively balanced <snip>

I assume you are adding the sugar to the kettle, just to verify <snip>

Ok, good. That's about the path I took (heating up to boil right now). In Brefather, I'm over OG by just a hair (10.1), and IBU is 89 now. I backed off the main malt to bring the OG down and then added a little extra caramel malt to get the SRM back.

Yep, just using sucrose. I know dextrose is popular too, but I could never find a compelling reason to switch over. I think just having yet another ingredient I needed to purchase kept me using sucrose.

Yeah, I do.

Ok, thanks for clarifying