Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Double IPA questions  (Read 521 times)

Offline Joe_Beer

• Brewer
Double IPA questions
« on: March 05, 2024, 04:11:21 pm »
I have a double ipa recipe from a local brewery I'm going to try which lists finishing gravity at 1.015. My yeast always seems to finish right around 1.010. Re-pitch is sometimes a little higher though.

Is it common for breweries to stop fermentation at a certain gravity? I've read that cold crashing can do this but not sure how I'd catch it at the right time when it hits 1.015.  I've heard that large scale brewing will re-pitch many times so maybe that's why it's listed higher?

Second thing is the hops. They list Ahtanum and Millenium but both seem sold out everywhere I've looked so far, or only available commerically. I've found Nugget and Amarillo as likely substitutions. Would anyone be familar enough with these hops to confirm that?

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
Re: Double IPA questions
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2024, 04:27:12 pm »
To limit FG, I've found that yeast selection and mash temperature work well.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2024, 05:54:24 pm »
imho definitely dont force the yeast to stop working through an artificial temperature drop, it can result in the beer overcarbonating hugely later if it ever warms up or sits long.

definitely mash temp + practice. i just aim for ~150f in general and based on my repeated results i know that if i want a lower attenuation i could add a non-fermentable ie. crystal, if i want it drier i can go lower or add cane sugar.

i definitely think IPAs need, need a malt backbone but dont worry too much especially if its all-malt, just let it take its course and you should be fine if youre hitting 75-79% attenuation.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2024, 08:57:22 am »
I have a double ipa recipe from a local brewery I'm going to try which lists finishing gravity at 1.015. My yeast always seems to finish right around 1.010. Re-pitch is sometimes a little higher though.

Is it common for breweries to stop fermentation at a certain gravity? I've read that cold crashing can do this but not sure how I'd catch it at the right time when it hits 1.015.  I've heard that large scale brewing will re-pitch many times so maybe that's why it's listed higher?

Second thing is the hops. They list Ahtanum and Millenium but both seem sold out everywhere I've looked so far, or only available commerically. I've found Nugget and Amarillo as likely substitutions. Would anyone be familar enough with these hops to confirm that?

I don't know of any brewery that attempts to stop fermentation.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2024, 11:30:58 am »
Double IPAs finish at a higher gravity than IPAs because they have a higher original gravity. I myself like to add a little sugar to DIPAs so they don't finish too sweet. I wouldn't worry too much about your terminal gravity being too low, especially if you don't add any sugar.

As far as your hop question, I found Ahtanum to be somewhat underwhelming when it first came out. Amarillo would be a decent substitute, personally I would use a mix of Centennial and Amarillo for flavor and aroma additions. As far as Millennium, that's a bittering hop. I would probably use Warrior as a substitute. Magnum would be another good choice. Your suggestion of Nugget would work, but you probably would have to double the quantities.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2024, 12:07:10 pm »
Double IPAs finish at a higher gravity than IPAs because they have a higher original gravity. I myself like to add a little sugar to DIPAs so they don't finish too sweet. I wouldn't worry too much about your terminal gravity being too low, especially if you don't add any sugar.

As far as your hop question, I found Ahtanum to be somewhat underwhelming when it first came out. Amarillo would be a decent substitute, personally I would use a mix of Centennial and Amarillo for flavor and aroma additions. As far as Millennium, that's a bittering hop. I would probably use Warrior as a substitute. Magnum would be another good choice. Your suggestion of Nugget would work, but you probably would have to double the quantities.

Sugar is definitely needed for DIPA to distinguish from BW
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2024, 02:51:12 pm »

What is BW?

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2024, 03:21:31 pm »
BW = barley wine

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2024, 03:44:35 pm »
BW = barley wine

Ok, thank you. I had no idea.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2024, 04:38:26 pm »
The higher the OG, the higher the FG.  Plain and simple.  If you can get a DIPA to finish at 1.010, hats off to you.  I doubt it will happen unless you substitute a ton of sugar for some of the malt.

Don't try to stop fermentation early.  There is a technique out there to do so that is popular with some cider people, but... in a beer, no, don't.

Amarillo would have been my first choice to replace Ahtanum, yep, that's good.  And Nugget for Millennium, yep that's good too.  Perfect.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Joe_Beer

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2024, 04:55:02 pm »

This is super helpful. Thanks,
I thought yeast strains were developed to always hit the same FG (not repitch), do they instead work within a range of points or something?

On doubling the quantitues, my nugget hops have a 14.8% AA and the Millenium data I found lists 14.5 - 16.5 so isn't that pretty close enough? 

Offline Joe_Beer

• Brewer
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2024, 04:57:03 pm »
I don't know of any brewery that attempts to stop fermentation.

Good to know that's not a standard practice for beer. I've heard guys talking about it with cider but it seemed like a lot to try and manage.

Offline Joe_Beer

• Brewer
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2024, 04:57:54 pm »

Hmm.. Any rule of thumb as far as percentage of sugar to grist?

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2024, 05:28:14 pm »
Great that you are learning, Joe! I will succinctly try to answer your questions, others will probably give better clarification.

Yeast strains were isolated from existing breweries, and they are reported on expected attenuation rates based on reported experience, which may or may not be true depending on the grist. No, they were not developed to end at a specific gravity.

My standard DIPA sugar addition is 1 lb. table sugar for 5 gallons DIPA batch.

Offline Joe_Beer

• Brewer
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2024, 03:07:08 am »
Great that you are learning, Joe! I will succinctly try to answer your questions, others will probably give better clarification.

Yeast strains were isolated from existing breweries, and they are reported on expected attenuation rates based on reported experience, which may or may not be true depending on the grist. No, they were not developed to end at a specific gravity.

My standard DIPA sugar addition is 1 lb. table sugar for 5 gallons DIPA batch.

Thanks, "attenuation" was the word I was trying to remember. Yeah, always more to learn, that's for sure. Glad y'all are so willing to offer your time, experience and insight into this process.  I'd likely have gotten frustrated with it, otherwise, and given up years ago.

I'll take note on that sugar:wort ratio.  It's been mentioned a couple times on this thread, but interestingly enough it's not in the recipe. Could have been left out as part of the "secret sauce" clause I suppose. It sounds like it's a pretty standard practice for high grav beer. Especially with what Denny mentioned about it turning into barley wine.

..And I like BW, it's just not what I'm shootin' fer'  :)