Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Grain Mills  (Read 10386 times)

Offline bmilford

• 1st Kit
Re: Grain Mills
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2010, 08:41:35 pm »
I use a JSP Maltmill, non-adjustable, no problems. We started using a 1/2" drill at about 600 rpm works great, exept for rye, I have to slowly pour the grain in or it will spring the rollers and not crush the grain.

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2010, 08:28:00 am »
So, are the drills that work on the BC expensive?  (like $100-200+ expensive)?  The 3/8 inch and 1/2 inch are just "bit sizes" aren't they?  They don't indicate a drill's power, do they?

3/8 and 1/2 are not "bit sizes" but rather "chuck sizes".  The chuck being what holds the drill bits.  And, yes, since the 1/2 chuck can hold larger bits, they generally are more powerful drills.
Joe

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2010, 12:09:25 pm »
Thanks for the clarification on drill anatomy (chucks and bits).

The idea to get the rollers rolling first and then add the grains is a good one that I'll take away from this discussion.
I've been putting the grains in first and then trying to get the drill moving.  Duh.

Might still need a more powerful drill, though.

Offline realbeerguy

• Brewer
  • Golf & drink beer with your friends
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2010, 12:48:52 pm »
JSP non-adjustable with 1/2hp motor off an old Delta Table Saw.  1.5" sheeve on motor, 10" sheeve on mill, 360 rpm.  If you are crushing rye, mix it with your base grains so it doesn't clog & stop the rollers.
Member Savannah Brewers League & Lowcountry MALTS

Bluffton SC

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2010, 03:17:45 pm »
The idea to get the rollers rolling first and then add the grains is a good one that I'll take away from this discussion.
I've been putting the grains in first and then trying to get the drill moving.  Duh.

Just be careful and make sure you don't let things stop in mid crush.  I do that fairly often and then you're stuck right back in the "grains first" situation.
Joe

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2010, 05:19:56 pm »
Most wheat malts and Rye malt are harder than barley to crush, if I stop milling with grain having either of those in the mix I run the rollers backward about a quarter to one third turn and then start milling again.

richardt, if you reduce the size of the throat that feeds the rollers from your hopper you'll have less problems milling also with a 3/8 drill.