Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Ever replace the SS braid in your mashtun?  (Read 11575 times)

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
Re: Ever replace the SS braid in your mashtun?
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2009, 11:00:24 am »
I'd think of replacing my braid but all I've got is a round white thingy with a bunch of holes in it.  Works great for either batch or fly sparge.
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline stout_fan

• Cellarman
  • Winner: Least original Avatar
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2009, 09:04:30 am »
My braid is doing fine, I've lost count of the # of batches.
I put a 1/2" SS brain inside. Here's checking length and overlap.

Then I fit inside the braid. Great flow rates. No collapse and a still looks good after all these years.

There's also some slots in the bottom of the feeder "T" so I can drain it all.
I'd say something witty down here, but I'm at a bit of a disadvantage in that department.

Offline woody

• Cellarman
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2009, 11:03:27 am »
I readjusted mine (well, I shoved it further up onto the barb) and it got the stretch out of it.   My runoff was a lot faster today.  I didn't think it would retain its shape by simply pushing it back together, but it did.   
I believe in a society with a ruling class.   Cause I rule

Offline roberba

• 1st Kit
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2009, 04:39:02 pm »
One thing I did was to make a small coil of copper wire to fit in the braid. This prevents it from collapsing. ;)

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2009, 09:33:00 am »
That's a good solution.  A better one is to get a braid that doesn't collapse!  Mine never has with up to 75 lb. of grain.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dbarber

• Brewer
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2009, 10:33:45 am »
I shortened mine to 8 inches or so because I thought it might be easier to stir without hitting.  After that I started getting either stuck mashes or very slow runoff.  I switched it back to 15 inches and haven't had the problem since.
Dave Barber
Orwigsburg, PA
AHA Member, BJCP National

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2009, 11:14:43 am »
I shortened mine to 8 inches or so because I thought it might be easier to stir without hitting.  After that I started getting either stuck mashes or very slow runoff.  I switched it back to 15 inches and haven't had the problem since.

That's very interesting and kinda puzzling.  Both my experiments and my experience have made me conclude that it doesn't matter.  I wonder why the different results?

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dbarber

• Brewer
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2009, 11:51:49 am »

That's very interesting and kinda puzzling.  Both my experiments and my experience have made me conclude that it doesn't matter.  I wonder why the different results?

That what I had read, so I figured it couldn't hurt.  But nothing else in my brewing had changed except the length of the braid.  I should mention that I use a coleman extreme that has a channel in the bottom.  Once I shortened it, it fit completely within that channel, so maybe that had an effect.
Dave Barber
Orwigsburg, PA
AHA Member, BJCP National

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2009, 12:40:49 pm »
I recently replaced my braid with a 24". I use it in a Coleman Ultimate Extreme 58qt mash tun. Works great.

I don't think I've ever quoted myself...but there's a first time for everything. I just damaged the new braid I installed and need to  replace it. That's the only thing I don't like about the braid. It's very fragile. But it works great.  8)
Ron Price

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2009, 12:44:27 pm »
Either you're a really rough brewer or you need to find a better braid!  ;)  Did you see the pics of mine?

www.dennybrew.com

Offline ndcube

• Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2009, 12:48:37 pm »
Mine just kind of floats around at the bottom.  I'm semi-careful when I stir not to pinch it to the bottom of the cooler.  It has a few dings in it but nothing too bad.

Sometimes I'll run a pience of siphon tubing through it to straighten it out or remove dings but this usually isn't necessary.

Offline lupy

• Cellarman
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2009, 03:36:20 pm »
I walked a buddy through the building of his Denny tun. His braid was different than mine. It had a looser weave and a much weaker overall strength so i suspect there are different grades of braids. Either way, both have worked fine without problems.
$2 words for a 2ยข story

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2009, 06:13:05 pm »
Either you're a really rough brewer or you need to find a better braid!  ;)  Did you see the pics of mine?

Actually... redbeerman was over to brew your VBIP and we overfilled the cooler slightly... he was stirring the mash... Things were kind of hectic and ...well it got kinked...we got a stuck sparge...man it was rough but in the end the beer turned out great.

My last braid lasted over a year.
Ron Price

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2009, 07:14:17 pm »
What is a good braid to get? I want to replace my slotted pipe with a braid and when I looked at the HD I found that most braids and made from plastic nowadays.

The motivation comes from the fact that I tried to lauter a Doppelbock a few weeks back and it was getting stuck very easily. I had to remove lots of the grain and add it back once the wort was more dilute.

My mash tun looks like this:

and the manifold like this:

stout_fan, where did you get the spring to fit inside the braid? Is it stainless?

Kai

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2009, 07:24:12 pm »
You can get the Stainless Steel water supply lines from HD or Lowes...

and cut the ends off with a hack saw...

then pull out the inner liner very carefully as not to kink the braid...I use a pair of needle nose pliers to grab the inner liner.
Ron Price