Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Ever replace the SS braid in your mashtun?  (Read 11462 times)

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
Re: Ever replace the SS braid in your mashtun?
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2009, 07:38:46 pm »
I walked a buddy through the building of his Denny tun. His braid was different than mine. It had a looser weave and a much weaker overall strength so i suspect there are different grades of braids. Either way, both have worked fine without problems.

Indeed there are different grades of braids . . both being available on the same isle of Slowes or Home Despot. Shop carefully to get the tighter weave. Less particulate in the first recirculations translates to shorter recirculation times.   
Just brew it...

Offline k4df4l

• Cellarman
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2009, 03:51:29 am »
My first braid worked great through a dozen batches until I crushed it with my mash paddle.  I had too many issues with the second and replaced it after three batches with a bazooka tube and haven't looked back since.  I do use a braid in my kettle to filter leaf hops and break material (not recommended for pellet hops).

Offline stout_fan

• Cellarman
  • Winner: Least original Avatar
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2009, 07:24:30 am »
and the manifold like this:

Kai, I also have a 10 gal Orange Gott, like your HD one. I have a Bazooka tube and use it indoors for 5 gal batches. Not really happy with it, considering a SS false bottom. Presently I have a problem with dead space at the tube since it is all screen. But looking at your set-up: If you just have holes or slots on the bottom and none on the top you will be able to draw from lower in the tun. At least that is until you break the siphon action. And that has to do with run off rates. Think wort percolating down through the grain. A rapid run off will drop the liquid level and break the siphon. A slower rate will allow all the grain to flush out and keep the liquid level higher for longer. Or so the theory goes....

stout_fan, where did you get the spring to fit inside the braid? Is it stainless?
Kai

It is a 1/2" SS spring from McMaster with the min turns per inch. Necessary to de-temper the ends and bend over otherwise they puncture the braid.
Detempering with extra fuzziness:

And the bent ends before and after:

hope that answers your questions
I'd say something witty down here, but I'm at a bit of a disadvantage in that department.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2009, 10:25:45 am »
What is a good braid to get? I want to replace my slotted pipe with a braid and when I looked at the HD I found that most braids and made from plastic nowadays.

Kai, that's tough for me to answer since I don't shop at HD.  I go to a place that's the locally based equivalent of HD.  I always buy a toilet supply line and it's always worked great.  As far as I can tell, the important thing is the numbers of straqnds of wire that comprise each of the "threads" that are woven to make the braid.  High on my priority list is to find time to quantify that, as well as put together a list of brand names and model #s that are recommended.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ndcube

• Brewmaster
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2009, 10:44:21 am »
I have a ten foot (maybe it's 15) refridgerator water supply line that got ruined encased in an SS braid.

I cut one chunk off of it and have been using it for over a year.  I think I may have a lifetime supply off SS braid.

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2009, 10:53:03 am »
High on my priority list is to find time to quantify that, as well as put together a list of brand names and model #s that are recommended.

That would be a useful reference to have given that designing a braid that works well for batch sparging is not a priority for any of the manufacturers of these hoses. They are interested in keeping the cost down while being able to provide a hose that meets the necessary specs. I guess that’s why we are seeing plastic braids as well.

I’ll keep looking around at other places as well.

Kai