Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Scotch Style Partigyle  (Read 3241 times)

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
Scotch Style Partigyle
« on: November 21, 2009, 06:09:08 pm »
WOW!  What a brew day.  40 lbs. of grains, 27 gallons of water, 4 oz. hops for a 1/3 - 2/3 Partigyle that gave 5 gallons in the fermenter from the first runnings & 10 gallons from the second.  I also tried misting the grains with water about 15 minutes before milling.  I don't know if that had anything to do with overshooting the OG or not but it was the most beautiful crush I've ever had.  The husks remained almost completely intact yet the endosperm was completely exposed and mostly detached.  

The styles were a Scotch Strong Ale and a Scottish Heavy 70/-.  The Strong Scotch Ale OG/SG was 1.142  :o and the 70/- was 1.042.  Measured the grains Friday night and started the strike water at 7:00AM Saturday.  Wrapped up everything at 6:00PM.  I’m pooped!  8)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 06:11:45 pm by hamiltont »
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
Re: Scotch Style Partigyle
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 06:18:33 pm »
That's gonna be a good one. Keep it cool!
Brew on

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 06:32:46 pm »
That's gonna be a good one. Keep it cool!

Definitely, and good point!  Cooled to 60 with the IC & in the fermentation chamber at 60 as well.  Depending on how the fermentation goes I'll bump it up a little bit after it slows down.
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline woody

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2009, 05:07:52 pm »
1.142?  Oh snap!  What did you pitch for yeast into that bad boy?   I'm thinking about doing a strong scotch ale this fall...
I believe in a society with a ruling class.   Cause I rule

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 05:16:10 pm »
Wyeast 1728.  For both I pitched a gallon each that was stepped up 3 times.  It's chugging continuously right now, 24 hours later and at 59 degrees wort temp. I'll probably raise that up a little when it settles down. So far no blow off, but that usually happens to me on the 2nd or 3rd day. I'm hoping 59 degrees will keep it from happening???

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2009, 09:21:05 pm »
Do not be afraid to use some foam control on these big beers.  I find it works really well.

Fred
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2009, 08:33:28 am »
Do not be afraid to use some foam control on these big beers.  I find it works really well.

Fred

Excellent point Fred!!!  I need to include that on my next order. 

At this point I've dropped the temp to 58F and still had a little blow off.  It has slowed this morning. Hopefully it stays that way.