Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Grrrrr Fruit Fly Invasion  (Read 4375 times)

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
Grrrrr Fruit Fly Invasion
« on: October 24, 2010, 10:54:01 am »
Rotten little bizatches. I know from wence they came and am working on
the problem...but dang I did not want, need, nor ask for this ....grrrrr.
Little cellophane jars of beer with pencil lead holes sittin around trapping flies....
And I just started an Ale fermenting from brewday yesterday....fingers crossed
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: Grrrrr Fruit Fly Invasion
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 11:03:35 am »
I can feel your frustration.  I have stink bugs and fruit flies.  >:(

Make a bottle trap

Put a piece of fruit inside a bottle. Make a paper cone with a small hole in the bottom. Put a paper cone inside the mouth of the bottle. It should have the pointed end face down. The fruit flies will enter the cone through the large end by the mouth of the bottle and find their way through the hole into the bottle. They will not be able to get out.

Make a bowl trap

1. Put a piece of old skinless fruit and some wine, or some balsamic vinegar in a bowl (think like the flies: what do you want for dinner?).
Cover the bowl tightly (no wrinkles) with plastic wrap.Poke many small holes in the plastic with a fork. The fruit flies go in and can't get out (if the holes are too big they will fly back out). Then you can release them outside.

http://www.wikihow.com/Get-Rid-of-Fruit-Flies
Ron Price

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 11:04:17 am »
I had a little problem earlier this year with something that came in with new house-plants. My beer was ok, but I left a fermenter out after draining it and unbeknown to me one got in before I snapped the lid down. When I pried up the lid a week later (procrastinator) the little sucker was in there. No maggots thank god but the fly had grown. It was an obese little fly and probably couldn't fly at all lol.

It was like some sort of mutant fly.

Sometimes these pests invade. I look for a source and remove any opportunity for them to feed. I also halt my brewing until the situation is resolved. As an ex-bartender I can tell you they can wreak havoc and get absolutely everywhere. Thankfully it's only happened a couple times at home and no brew was ruined!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline 1vertical

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 11:11:15 am »
Got the source, a trash can that SHMBO uses to glean uneaten particulates from the bird cage...
they got the name Foul for a real reason....now we just work on cleaning up the collateral flies.

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 11:34:21 am »
+1 for the bottle trap. A mason jar, a couple slices of banana, and a paper cone is all it takes.
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010, 01:11:09 pm »
Tried a thousand different tricks when we had them last summer but I think the method that killed the most was standing in the kitchen by the window and smashing the bastards when they landed on the window, which they did somewhat constantly.  To paraphrase the ancient Hebrews, Saul has killed his thousands, but Neuf has killed his tens of thousands!

Keep fruit refrigerated, seek out anything that may harbor moisture (drains, trash, etc) and good luck. 

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2010, 01:40:53 pm »
  To paraphrase the ancient Hebrews, Saul has killed his thousands, but Neuf has killed his tens of thousands!

That's all good, till Saul gets ticked off, and tries to whack you cause he jealous!  ;D  (just sayin, it's what happened in the Bible.)
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline 1vertical

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2010, 01:51:32 pm »
Keep fruit refrigerated, seek out anything that may harbor moisture (drains, trash, etc) and good luck. 

I thought about putting my bananas in the fridge, then thought no.....put it in the microwave...
that ought to keep the lil bastages away from the fruit...after all even a microwave should not be able to get in or out....
ha  ha  ha....opened the door this am ....and bzzzzzzzz 1st thing out.....a dang fruit fly....so I peeled and ate the fruit
and froze the peeling n the freezer....dang rigamarole....

BTW, I put the cell phone in the microwave, closed the door, and called the phone from another phone in the house,
The microwaves do NOT get past the door and the phone does NOT ring... ;) a good test of your microwave doors seal.
Just don't turn on the oven and fry yer phone.... ::)

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
  • Brighton, CO :D
    • Mile High Monks
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2010, 12:08:16 am »

...instructions on building traps...

...Then you can release them outside.

WTF?!?!?! Fruit flies really? If they were endangered...
LOL
 ;D
Ruben * Colorado :)

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
  • Brighton, CO :D
    • Mile High Monks
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2010, 12:10:46 am »
Tried a thousand different tricks when we had them last summer but I think the method that killed the most was standing in the kitchen by the window and smashing the bastards when they landed on the window, which they did somewhat constantly.  To paraphrase the ancient Hebrews, Saul has killed his thousands, but Neuf has killed his tens of thousands!

By the way, I use amonia free window cleaner. Wider spread than a fly swatter and I clean the window in the process.
Ruben * Colorado :)

Offline alikocho

• Brewmaster
  • Bristol, UK
    • A Storm Brewing
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2010, 01:06:38 am »
I've had great success removing them with a vacuum cleaner.

I have issues with fruit flies in the summer. Never had a problem with brews - everything kept under airlock with vodka (if they do get in I get sterile drowned flies), and I make sure to have open containers well away from where the flies are.
Bristol Brewing Circle (BBC)
Bristol Craft Brewers

UK National Homebrew Competition - http://www.bristolhomebrewcompetition.org.uk/

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2010, 06:24:41 am »
Fruit flies can not tolerate Co2 so there is no risk of infection while fermentation is taking place. They also can't swim through vodka or water so there is no way they can get in an airlock. What they can do is lay their larvae under the bucket lid and the larvae can get in under the bucket lid. And if the lid is not sealed very tight, or has an older seal, the flies can get in as well. But I have never lost a beer to fruit flies in an airlock sealed carboy. Can't say the same thing about buckets.

Offline Steve

• Assistant Brewer
  • Been there, done that. And now I've returned
    • Kettle and Cask Beer Blog
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2010, 09:39:36 am »
I always liked the vinegar trap with a bit of soap in a dish.  The critters go for the vinegar and they can't escape the surface tension of the soap and they drown.  Since we're homebrewers we probably should be using malt vinegar.
Steve

"Because beer is food: in cooking, at the table and by the glass. " Lucy Saunders

Offline 1vertical

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2010, 10:00:56 am »
I also moved my fermentations out into the cooler garage...methinks they like warm climates better
than 60 degrees f ambient

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2010, 02:24:47 pm »